This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibro-acoustic Analysis Using a Hybrid Energy Finite Element /Boundary Element Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A hybrid method is developed by combining energy finite element method (EFEM) and energy boundary element method (EBEM) to predict interior noise of structural-acoustic systems at high frequencies. In the hybrid EFEM/EBEM method, the structural domain of the system is modeled by structural finite elements, and the acoustic domain is modeled by acoustic boundary elements. The structural vibration response is computed from EFEM. The interior sound pressure level in the acoustic domain is recovered using EBEM. To validate the hybrid method, the interior noise levels in simplified airplane cabin and van models are computed and compared with that of EFEM only model. Good correlations are observed.
CitationRaveendra, S. and Zhang, W., "Vibro-acoustic Analysis Using a Hybrid Energy Finite Element /Boundary Element Method," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2177, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2177.
- Langley, R. S. Bardell, N. S. “A review of current analysis capabilities applicable to the high frequency vibration prediction of aerospace structures” The Aeronautical Journal 102 287 297 1998
- Lee, D. Sternberg, R. L. Schultz, M. H. Proceedings of the first IMACS Symposium on Computational Acoustics Computational acoustics: algorithms and applications Amsterdam Elsevier (North Holland) 1988
- Everstine, G. C. “Finite element formulations of structural acoustics problems” Computers & Structures 65 307 321 1997
- Lyon, R. Statistical Energy Analysis of Dynamical Systems: Theory and Application The M.I.T. Press Cambridge, MA 1975
- Woodhouse, J. “An approach to the theoretical background of statistical energy analysis applied to structural vibration” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 69 1695 1709 1981
- Nefske, D. J. Sung, S. H. “Power flow finite element analysis of dynamic systems: basic theory and applications to beams” Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress and Reliability 220 135 154 1989
- Bouthier, O. M. Bernhard, R. J. “Models of space-averaged energetics of Plates” AIAA Journal 30 34 44 1992
- Cho, P. “Energy flow analysis of coupled structures” Mechanical Engineering Department, Purdue University Lafayette, IN 1993
- Bitsie, F. “The structural acoustic energy finite element method and energy boundary element method” Mechanical Engineering Department, Purdue University Lafayette, IN 1996
- Wang, S. “High frequency energy flow analysis methods: numerical implementation, applications, and verification” Mechanical Engineering Department, Purdue University Lafayette, IN 2000
- Vlahopoulos, N. Garza-Rios, L. O. Mollo, C. “Numerical implementation, validation, and marine applications of an energy finite element formulation” Journal of Ship Research 43 143 156 1999
- Zhang, W. Wang, A. Vlahopoulos, N. “An Alternative Energy Finite Element Formulation Based on Incoherent Orthogonal Waves and Its Validation for Marine Structures” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 38 1095 1113 2002
- Zhang, W. Raveendra, S. T. “Interior Noise Prediction based on Energy Finite Element Method,” SAE Noise & Vibration Conference, Paper No: 2005-01-2332 Traverse City, Michigan 2005
- Zhang, W. Raveendra, S. T. “Sound Package Analysis using Energy Finite Element Method,” SAE Noise & Vibration Conference, Paper No: 2007-01-2309 St. Charles, Illinois 2007
- Raveendra, S. T. Mollo, C. M. Thompson, J. K. “Boundary Element Method for High Frequency Acoustic Analysis” Proceedings of the ASME Noise Control and Acoustics Division 24 309 313 1997