This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Flame Structure and Inert Gases on Extinction Properties in DME Diffusion Flames
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental studies are conducted on extinction of non-premixed dimethyl ether (DME) flames stabilized in the counterflow configuration. Studies are carried out by injecting a fuel stream made up of fuel and inert gas (N2 or CO2) from one duct and an oxidizer stream made up of O2 and inert gas (N2 or CO2) from the other duct. Critical conditions of extinction are measured by increasing the flow rate of the counterflowing streams until the flame extinguishes. Numerical studies are also performed using detailed chemistry at conditions corresponding to those used in the experiments and compared with measurements. The present study highlights the examination of the influence of flame temperature, flame structure and kind of inert gas on extinction properties of DME. To examine the effect of flame temperature, inert gas is introducing to both fuel and oxidizer sides in such a way that the stoichiometric mixture fraction, Zst, is not changed, which means flame structure is not changed. To examine the effect of flame structure, Zst is varied by removing inert gas from oxidizer side (oxygen-enriched air) and introducing it to the fuel side (diluted fuel) in such a way that the adiabatic flame temperature is not varied. To examine the effect of kind of inert gas, N2 is replaced with CO2 and both results are compared.
CitationTANOUE, K., MIENO, W., MIYAHARA, T., UMEDA, J. et al., "Effects of Flame Structure and Inert Gases on Extinction Properties in DME Diffusion Flames," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2013, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2013.
- Fleisch, T. H. Meurer, P. C. 1995 “DME: The Diesel Fuel for the 21st Century?” Proc. Conf. Program Int. Congress Engine and the Environment Graz, Austria 24 25 1995
- Chen, Z. Konno, M. Kajitani, S. “Performance and Emissions of DI Compression Ignition Engines Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (Performance and Emissions in Retrofitted Engines)” JSME Int. J. Series B 43 82 88 2000
- Kajitani, S. “A Study of Low Compress ion Ratio Diesel Engines Operated with Neat Dimethyl Ether (DME)” JSME TED Newsletter 42 2004
- Sorenson, S.C. et al. “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Liter Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fuelled with Neat Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 950064 1995
- Kapus, P.E. et al. “Development of fuel Injection equipment and combustion system for DI diesels operated on dimethyl ether” SAE Paper 950062 1995
- Chen, R. Axelbaum, R.L. “Scalar dissipation rate at extinction and the effects of oxygen-enriched combustion” Combust. Flame 142 62 71 2005
- Poola, R.B. Ng, H.K. Sekar, R.R. Baudino, J.H. Colucci, C.P. “Utilizing intake-air oxygen-enrichment technology to reduce cold phase emissions” SAE Technical Paper 952420 1995
- Kang K.T. Hwang J.Y. Chung S.H. Lee W. “Soot zone structure and sooting limit in diffusion flames: Comparison of counterflow and co-flow flames” Combust. Flame 109 266 281 1997
- Seshadri, K. Williams, F.A. “Laminar Flow between Parallel Plates with Injection of a Reactant at High Reynolds Number” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 21 251 253 1978
- Seiser, R. “Ignition and Extinction of Nonpremixed Flames” Technical University of Graz 2000
- Payer, W. “Chemical-Kinetic Characterization of Autoignition and Combustion of Liquid Fuels” Vienna University of Technology 2002
- Geieregger, M. “Experimental and numerical studies of the influence of water in premixed combustion” Vienna University of Technology 2003
- Tsuji, H. “Counterflow Diffusion Flames” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 8 93 119 1982
- Nishioka, M. Law, C.K. Takeno, T. “A Flame-Controlling Continuation Method for Generating S-Curve Responses with Detailed Chemistry” Combust. Flame 104 328 342 1996
- Kee, R.J. Rupley, F.M. Miller J.A. et al. CHEMKIN Collection Reaction Design, Inc. San Diego, CA 2003
- Curran, H. J. Pitz, W. J. Marinov, N. M. Westbrook, C. K. Dagaut, P. Boettner, J-C. Cathonnet, M. “A Wide Range Modeling Study of Dimethyl Ether Oxidation” Inter. J. Chem. Kinet. 30 229 241 1998