This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Lean-Combustion Studies in a Four-Stroke DI Radical-Ignition Diesel Engine with EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A detailed examination is made of the effects of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on hydrogen radical ignition in a four-stroke direct-injection (DI) diesel engine. “Radical ignition” (RI) species are first generated in secondary chambers, called mini-chambers (M-Cs), located in the cylinder head. More are generated in the main chamber. Some of these are then carried over to the next cycle. It is their pre-presence and participation in the next autoignition event that enables engine operations under ultra-lean fuel conditions at normal diesel compression ratios. The thrust of this study is to explore the prospect of using the portion of the RI species being returned via EGR to better manage autoignition timings. In the absence of other control measures, and because the re-circulated gases are cooled to intake conditions to eliminate the thermal effects of the EGR, in this study it is primarily the regulation of this recycled portion of the RI species that is used to control autoignition. This study conclusively illustrates that in response to load and speed changes, appropriate adjustments in the EGR percentages can be used alone to control the timing of the autoignition event. The simulation simultaneously solves the H2-air chemical-kinetics occurring within the mini and main chambers as these chambers exchange heat with the environment and as they exchange momentum, mass and chemical species with each other and with the engine manifold.
CitationBlank, D., "Hydrogen Lean-Combustion Studies in a Four-Stroke DI Radical-Ignition Diesel Engine with EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1887, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1887.
- Najt, P.M. and Foster, D.E., “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE Paper 830264, 1983.
- Gussak, L.A., “The Role of Chemical Activity and Turbulence Intensity in Prechamber-Torch Organization of Combustion for a Stationary Flow of a Fuel-Air Mixture”, SAE Paper 830592, 1983.
- Noguchi, M, Tanaka, Y., Tanaka, T. and Takeuchi, Y., “A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products During Combustion”, SAE Paper 790840, 1979.
- Blank, D.A., Pouring, A.A. and Lu, J.. “Methanol Combustion in Low Compression Ratio DI Engines Enabled by Sonex Piston Design”, 2001 SAE Transactions, Vol. 110, Journal of Engines, Section 3, pages 1234-1252 (also SAE Paper 2001-01-1197, 2001).
- Blank, D.A. and Pouring, A.A., “Radical Ignition in Low Compression Ratio D.I. Engines Enabled by Sonex Piston Design,” IFP International Congress: A New Generation of Engine Combustion Processes for the Future?”, Ruiel-Malmaison, France, 26-27 Nov. 2001.
- Blank, D.A., “Methanol Hypergolic Combustion Kinetics (without N2) in Radical-Ignition Reduced Compression Ratio D.I. Engines Using Piston Micro-Chambers”, SAE Paper 2004-01-1847, 2004.
- Lu, J. and Pouring, A.A., “Development of a New Concept Piston for Alcohol Fuel Use in a CI Engine”, SAE Paper 961078, 1996.
- Blank, D.A., “Lean Combustion Chemical-Kinetics Studies of an Ethanol Four-Stroke Radical-Ignition DI-Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0623, 2007.
- Blank, D.A., “CNG/Methane-Combustion Kinetics (without N2) and Frozen Equilibrium in Radical-Initiated Low Compression Ratio D.I. Diesel Engines Using Pistons with Micro-Chambers”, 2004 SAE Transactions, Vol. 113, Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Section 4, pages 724-763 and SAE Paper 2004-01-1677, 2004.
- Blank, D.A., “CNG/Methane-Combustion in Homogeneous-Combustion Radical-Ignition D.I. Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0047, 2007.
- Blank, D.A. and Pouring, A.A. “Frozen Equilibrium and EGR Effects on Radical-Initiated H2 Combustion Kinetics in Low-Compression D.I. Engines Using Pistons with Micro-Chambers”, JSAE Paper 20030306 and SAE Paper 2003-01-1788, 2003.
- Blank, D.A., and Pouring, A.A. “Radical Controlled Autoignition at Reduced Compression Ratios in a Hydrogen D.I. Diesel Engine with Piston Micro-Chambers”, 2004 SAE Transactions, Vol. 113, Journal of Engines, Section 3, pages 1185-1182 and SAE Paper 2004-1846, 2004.
- Handbuch Dieselmotoren, Gebundene Ausgabe Springer, Berlin, Juli 2001.
- Blank, D.A., “Radical Controlled Autoignition in an HCRI Hydrogen DI Four-Stroke Diesel Engine with Reduced Heat Rejection” SAE Paper 2007-01-0013, 2007.
- Blank, D.A., “Radical Ignition Combustion Studies with Hydrogen in a Two-Stroke DI-HCRI Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0135, 2007.
- Okude K., Mori, K., et. al., “Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) Combustion for Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engine”, 2004 SAE Transactions, Vol. 113, Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Section 4, pages 1002-1013.
- Blank, D.A., Pouring, A.A. and Lu, J., “NOx Reduction Kinetics Mechanisms and Radical-Induced Autoignition Potential of EGR in I.C. Engines Using Methanol and Hydrogen”, SAE Paper 2001-28-0048, 2001.
- Semenov, N.N., Some Problems in Chemical Kinetics and Reactivity, Princeton University Press, 1958.
- Walker, R.W., “Free Radicals in Combustion Chemistry”, Sci. Progress, Oxford, Part 2, Vol. 74, Num. 294, pp. 163-188, 1990.
- Lu, J., “Numerical Studies of Chemically Enhanced Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines Using Advanced Piston Geometry”, PhD Thesis, University of Maryland, College Park, 1994.
- Westbrook, C. K., “Hydrogen Oxidation Kinetics in Gaseous Detonations,” Comb. Sci. and Techn., 29, No. 1/2, 67, 1982.
- Hucknall, D.J. The Chemistry of Hydrocarbon Combustion, Chapman and Hall, London, 1985.
- Conaire, M., Curran, H.J., “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of Hydrogen Oxidation”, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Report KIN-03-0069, 2003.
- Kee, R.J., Rupley, F.M. and Miller, J.A.:“CHEMKIN-II: A Fortran Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gas-Phase Chemical Kinetics”, Sandia National Lab Report, SAND89-80098, UC-706, Nov., 1991.
- Broyden, C.G., Mathematics of Computation, vol. 19, pp. 577-593, 1965.
- Minkowycz, W.J., Sparrow, E.M., et.al., Handbook of Numerical Heat Transfer, John Whiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1988.
- Haught, D., “U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Natural Gas Reciprocating Engine Program” Reciprocating Engine Peer Review, April 23, 2002. www.eere.energy.gov/de/pdfs/conf-02_recip_engine_pr/haught.pdf
- Zhu, D., Bansal, N.P., et.al., “Thermal Conductivity of Ceramic Thermal Barrier and Environmental Barrier Coating Materials” NASA/TM-2001-211122, Sept., 2001.