This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three Types of Simulation Algorithms for Evaluating the HEV Fuel Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In regard to the evaluation of the performance of a hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), there are as many simulation methods as there are developers or researchers. They adopt different operational algorithms and they use diverse techniques to realize their logic. However, the relation among the various simulation methods has not been clearly defined. Thus, it is not easy to choose a method that would bring the best consequences in the most efficient way.
Here, we present three types of backward-looking simulation algorithms for evaluating the fuel efficiency of a power-split HEV. Then the results and cost-effectiveness of each algorithm are analyzed using various component ratings over a representative driving mode. Based on the comparative analysis, the algorithm that uses equivalent fuel consumption is shown to be highly cost-effective. Also, an inductive or empirical base is set up with the results for a component sizing methodology using the recommended simulation.
CitationAhn, K., Cha, S., Lee, J., and Cho, S., "Three Types of Simulation Algorithms for Evaluating the HEV Fuel Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1771, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1771.
- Duoba, M. Ng, H. Larsen, R. “Characterization and Comparison of Two Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) - Honda Insight and Toyota Prius” SAE paper 2001-01-1335
- Meisel, J. “An Analytic Foundation for the Toyota Prius THS-II Powertrain with a Comparison to a Strong Parallel Hybrid-Electric Powertrain” SAE paper 2006-01-0666
- Cho, S. Ahn, K. Lee, J. “Efficiency of the Planetary Gear Hybrid Powertrain” Proceedings of IMechE, Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 220 10 1445 1454 2006
- Ahn, K. Yang, H. Kim, N. Cho, S. Lim, W. Park, Y. Lee, J. “Fuel Efficiency and Dynamic Performances of a Two-Mode Planetary Gear Hybrid Powertrain” Proceedings of FISITA2006
- Zoelch, U. Schroeder, D. “Dynamic Optimization Method for Design and Rating of the Components of a Hybrid Vehicle” International Journal of Vehicle Design 19 1 1 13 1998
- Kleimaier, A. Schroeder, D. “Optimization Strategy for Design and Control of a Hybrid Vehicle” Proceedings of 6th International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control 2000
- Lin, C. Peng, H. Grizzle, J. Kang, J. “Power Management strategy for a Parallel Hybrid Electric Truck” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 11 6 839 849 2003
- Delprat, S. Lauber, J. Guerra, T. Rimaux, J. Control of a Parallel Hybrid Powertrain: Optimal Control” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 53 3 872 881 2004
- Tate, E. Boyd, S. “Finding Ultimate Limits of Performance for Hybrid Electric Vehicles” SAE paper 2000-01-3099
- Scordia, J. Desbois-Renaudin, M. Trigui, R. Jeanneret, B. Badin, F. Plasse, C. “Global Optimization of Energy Management Laws in Hybrid Vehicles using Dynamic Programming” International Journal of Vehicle Design 39 4 349 367 2005
- Belegundu, A. Chandrupatla, T. Optimization Concepts and Applications in Engineering Prentice-Hall New Jersey 1999
- Ahn, K. Cho, S. Park, Y. Lim, W. Lee, J. “Performance Analysis and Parametric Design of the Dual Mode Planetary Gear Hybrid Powertrain” Journal of Automobile Engineering 220 11 1601 1614 2006