This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fault Diagnostics for Internal Combustion Engines - Current and Future Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The adoption of each new level of automotive emissions legislation often requires the introduction of additional emissions reduction techniques or the development of existing emissions control systems. This, in turn, usually requires the implementation of new sensors and hardware which must subsequently be monitored by the on-board fault detection systems. The reliable detection and diagnosis of faults in these systems or sensors, which result in the tailpipe emissions rising above the progressively lower failure thresholds, provides enormous challenges for OBD engineers.
This paper gives a review of the field of fault detection and diagnostics as used in the automotive industry. Previous work is discussed and particular emphasis is placed on the various strategies and techniques employed. Methodologies such as state estimation, parity equations and parameter estimation are explained with their application within a physical model diagnostic structure. The utilization of symptoms and residuals in the diagnostic process is also discussed.
These traditional physical model based diagnostics are investigated in terms of their limitations. The requirements from the OBD legislation are also addressed. Additionally, novel diagnostic techniques, such as principal component analysis (PCA) are also presented as a potential method of achieving the monitoring requirements of current and future OBD legislation.
|Technical Paper||Onboard Diagnosis of Engine Misfires|
|Technical Paper||Drivability Improvements on Electronic Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||An Artificial UEGO Sensor for Engine Cold Start - Methodology, Design, and Performance|
- N. McDowell - Internal Combustion Engines Research Group, Queen's University Belfast
- G. McCullough - Internal Combustion Engines Research Group, Queen's University Belfast
- X. Wang - Intelligent Systems and Control Research Group, Queen's University Belfast
- U. Kruger - Intelligent Systems and Control Research Group, Queen's University Belfast
- G. W. Irwin - Intelligent Systems and Control Research Group, Queen's University Belfast
CitationMcDowell, N., McCullough, G., Wang, X., Kruger, U. et al., "Fault Diagnostics for Internal Combustion Engines - Current and Future Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1603, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1603.
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Electronic and Electrical Systems
Number: V116-7 ; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-7 ; Published: 2008-08-15
- McDowell N., Wang X., Kruger U., McCullough G., Irwin G.W., Fault Diagnosis for Internal Combustion Engines, Automation Technology in Practice, Vol. 3, pp. 19-26, 2006.
- Sachenbacher M., Struss P., Weber R., Advances in Design and Implementation of OBD Functions for Diesel Injection Based on a Qualitative Approach to Diagnosis, SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0365.
- Title 13, California Code Regulations, Section 1968.2, Malfunction and Diagnostic System Requirements for 2004 and Subsequent Model-Year Passenger Cars, Light-Duty Trucks, and Medium-Duty Vehicles and Engines (OBD II).
- Rizzoni G., Detection of Sensor Failures in Automotive Engines, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 40, No. 2, May 1991.
- Isermann R., Supervision, Fault-Detection and Fault-Diagnosis Methods - An Introduction, Control Eng. Practice, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 639-652, 1997.
- Isermann R., Balle P., Trends in the application of Model-Based Fault Detection and Diagnosis of Technical processes, Control Eng. Practice, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 709-719, 1997.
- Isermann R., Diagnosis Methods for Electronic Controlled Vehicles, Vehicle Systems Dynamics, Vol. 36, No. 2-3, pp. 77-117, 2001.
- Evans-Pughe C., Learning to Drive, Engineering & Technology, May 2006, Vol. 1, Issue 2, pp. 42-46.
- Kimmich F., Schwarte A., Isermann R., Fault detection for modern Diesel engines using signal and process model-based methods. Control Engineering Practice, 2005, Vol. 13, pp. 189-203.
- Betta G., Pietrosanto A., Instrumentation Fault Detection and Isolation: State of the Art and New Research Trends, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 100-107, 2000.
- Frank P.M., Enhancement of robustness in Observer-Based Fault Detection, International Journal of Control, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 955-981, 1994.
- Hofling T., Isermann R., Fault Detection based on Adaptive Parity Equations and Single-Parameter Tracking, Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 4, No. 10, pp. 1361-1369, 1996.
- Patton R.J., Frank P.M., Clarke R.N., Fault Diagnosis in Dynamic Systems: Theory and Application, Prentice Hall, 1989.
- Rizzoni G., Paul S., Detection of Sensor Failures in Automotive Engines, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 40, No. 2, May 1991.
- Box G., Bisgaard S., Graves S., Kulahci M., Marko K., James J., Van Gilder J., Ting T., Zatorski., Wu C., Performance Evaluation of Dynamic Monitoring Systems: The Waterfall Chart, Quality Engineering Vol.16, No. 2, pp. 183-191, 2003.
- Nyberg M., Model-Based Diagnosis of an Automotive Engine Using Several Types of Fault Models, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 10, No. 5, September 2002.
- Nyberg M., Stutte T., Model based diagnosis of the air path of an automotive diesel engine, Control Engineering Practice, Vol.12, pp. 513-525, 2004.
- Nyberg M., Using Hypothesis Testing Theory to Evaluate Principles for Leakage Diagnosis of Automotive Engines, Control Engineering Practice, Vol.11, pp. 1263-1272, 2003.
- Nyberg M., Automatic Design of Diagnosis Systems with Application to an Automotive Engine, Control Engineering Practice, Vol.7, pp. 993-1005, 1999.
- Howlett R.J., de Zoysa M.M., Walters S.D., Howson P.A., Neural Networks Techniques for Monitoring and Control of Internal Combustion Engines, Third International ICSC Symposium on Intelligent Industrial Automation, Genova, Italy, 1999.
- Barnard J.P., Aldrich C., Diagnostic Monitoring of Internal Combustion Engines by Use of Independent Component Analysis and Neural Networks, IEEE Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Vol. 2, pp. 869 - 872, 2003.
- Bernieri A., Betta G., Pietrosanto A., Sansone C., A Neural Network Approach to Instrument Fault Detection and Isolation, Proc. of IEEE Instrumentation / Measurement Technology Conference - IMTC/94, Hamamatsu (Japan), Maggio, IEEE Comp. Soc. Press, 1994.
- Betta G., Liguori C., Pietrosanto A., An Advanced Neural-Network-Based Instrument Fault Detection and Isolation Scheme, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 47, No. 2, 1998.
- Capriglione D., Liguori C., Pianese C., Pietrosanto A., On-Line Sensor Fault Detection, Isolation, and Accommodation in Automotive Engines, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2003.
- Jackson J.E., A User's Guide to Principal Components, Wiley, New York, 1991.
- Jia F., Martin E.B., Morris A.J., Non-linear principal component analysis for process fault detection, Computers and Chemical Engineering, Vol. 22, pp 851-854, 1998.
- Shao R., Jia F., Martin E.B., Morris A.J., Wavelets and non-linear principal component analysis for process monitoring, Control Engineering Practice, Vol.7, No. 7, pp 865-879, 1999.
- Antory, D., Fault Diagnosis Applications using Nonlinear Multivariate Statistical Process Control, Ph.D. Thesis, Queen's University Belfast, 2005.
- Kruger, U., Antory, D., Hahn, J., Irwin, G.W., McCullough, G., “A Nonlinearity Measure for Principal Component Models”, Computers & Chemical Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 11-12, pp. 2355-2362, 2005.
- Kramer M.A., Autoassociative neural networks, Computers & Chemical Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp 313-328, 1992.
- Dong D., McAvoy T.J., Non-linear principal component analysis - based on principal curves and neural networks, Computers & Chemical Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp 65-78, 1996.
- Antory D., Kruger U., Irwin G., McCullough G., Fault diagnosis in internal combustion engines using non-linear multivariate statistics, Proc. IMechE, Vol. 219 Part I, 2005.
- Dunia R., Qin S.J., Edgar T.E., McAvoy T.J., Identification of faulty sensors using principal component analysis, J. Process Systems Engng, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 2707-2812, 1996
- Automotive Engineering International Online, Sensors, 18/10/2000.
- Muldoon S.E., Kowalczyk M., Shen J., Vehicle Fault Diagnostics Using a Sensor Fusion Approach, Proc. of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Sensors, U.S.A, Vol. 2, pp. 1591-1596, 2002.
- Wang X., Kruger U., Irwin G.W., McDowell N., McCullough G., Nonlinear Statistical Fault Detection and Diagnosis in Automotive Engines, under review.
- 2010 Emissions from an Electronics Perspective, Kesse Mary Lou, Jayachandran Amit, Schuh Dave, DOE DEER Conference, Chicago, IL, August 21-25, 2005.
- Hanselmann H., DSP in Control: The Total Development Solution, Proc. Of IEEE Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation Conference - IECON, Taiwan, Vol. 3, pp 1647 - 1654, 1996.