This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement and Analysis of European Sports Cars for Elective Gear Shift Quality and Cabin Sound for Sporting Character
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Continued developments in control and integration applied to automatic and twin clutch powershift transmissions have provided smooth, comfortable gearshifts. However, whilst suitable for most vehicles and markets for everyday driving, such characteristics may not suit the character of a sportscar or a vehicle sports mode for elective shifts.
The paper reports upon a project, extending from [2,3,4], undertaken to determine the main effects and interaction of shift feel and cabin sound that influence the driver's perception of a “sporty” gear shift.
Good correlation has been found for models which include data from three very different transmission types, meeting the requirement for a predictor for shift sportiness, independent of transmission type. This has yielded predictive equations and measures of their accuracy based upon longitudinal acceleration and engine speed.
Weaker correlation has been found for sound metrics, substantially due to a lower degree of consensus between the assessors.
CitationWheals, J., Fracchia, M., Weston, B., and Maunder, M., "Measurement and Analysis of European Sports Cars for Elective Gear Shift Quality and Cabin Sound for Sporting Character," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1585, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1585.
- Benchmarking and Analysis for Sporty Shift Quality covering Shift Feel and Sound. (200+ pages) Ricardo Report June 2006. Wheals Jon, Fracchia Marco, Weston Bill, Maunder Matt. et al., Ricardo Driveline & Transmission Systems, Ricardo UK Ltd
- SAE 2002-01-0929 “Automated manual transmissions - A European survey and proposed quality shift metrics”
- Patent application “Vehicle Transmission Shift Quality” WO02092379, 21-11-2002 Applicant: RICARDO MTC LTD (GB)
- Neural Networks Applied to Shift Quality Baker Hannah, Ramsbottom Mark Bartsch Konstanze Internal company project, 2003-2005. Ricardo Driveline & Transmission Systems, Ricardo UK Ltd
- “Subjective Test Techniques Applied to Vehicle Performance Assessment” Passmore, M.A.,ATA 7th International Conference, The Role of Experimentation in the Automotive Product Development Process, Florence, May 2001, pp 1-8.
- BMW M5 SMG3 AMT Transmission Benchmarking Phase 1 Report V1.1 Ricardo Report 10-8-2006. Fracchia Marco Ricardo Driveline & Transmission Systems, Ricardo UK Ltd
- Simca-P User Guide Umetrics
- Multi and Megavariate Data Analysis Umetrics ISBN 91-973730-1-X