This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Automotive Cooling Fan Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Plenum chamber performance and Laser Doppler Velocimetry measurements on two different fan types show the impact of the vehicle engine on automotive cooling fan-specific aerodynamic performance. The pressure loss caused by the blockage plate is proportional with the flow rate and inversely proportional to blockage distance. LDV measurements show that the blockage plate causes a reduction in the flow rate, an increase in the reverse flow near the fan hub, and a dramatic increase in the radial flow. The relation between blockage-to-fan distance and fan performance was established. It is found that the pressure change follows a quadratic function, but the coefficients are fan specific
CitationGifford, N., Savory, E., and Martinuzzi, R., "Experimental Study of Automotive Cooling Fan Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1525, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1525.
- Ng E.Y., Watkins S., Johnson P.W., and Mole L. Measuring local time-averaged airflow Proc 14th Australian Fluid Mechanics Conf., Adelaide, Australia, 2001.
- AMCA Standard 210-99: Laboratory Methods of Testing Fans for Aerodynamic Performance Rating, AMCA, 1999.
- Jang C.M., Furukawa, M. and Inoue, M. Analysis of the vortical flow field in a propeller fan by LDV measurements and LES, Transactions of the ASME, 123:748-761, 2001.
- Vad, J. and Bencze, F. Three-dimensional flow in axial flow fans of non-free vortex design, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 19:601-607, 1998.
- Morris S.C., Good, J.J. and Foss, J.F. Velocity measurements in the wake of an automotive cooling fan, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 17:100-106, 1998.
- Eck, B. Fans: design and operation of centrifugal, axial-flow, and cross-flow fans, Pergamon Press, New York, 1973.Type any references over these paragraphs.