This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Individual Cylinder Combustion Control Based on Real-Time Processing of Ion Current Signals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the main results of a research activity focused on the analysis, development, and real time implementation of a closed-loop, individual cylinder combustion control system, based on ion sensing technology.
The innovative features of the proposed control system consist of extracting combustion quality related information from the ion current signal, and of using such information, together with pre-defined look-up-tables, for feedback control of the spark advance throughout the entire engine operating range. In particular, the ion current signal processing algorithm that is carried out in real-time, initially determines whether knocking is affecting or not the actual combustion process. Based on such evaluation, the closed-loop spark advance controller uses different signal processing algorithms to continuously determine individual cylinder spark advance deviations with respect to a pre-defined, base spark advance look up table, common to all the engine cylinders, and to store them in the Electronic Control Unit memory.
The main result is therefore a spark advance controller that is continuously able to adapt its actuations both to engine/components variations (either due to ageing or to manufacturing component dispersion), as well as to varying external conditions (fuel quality, air temperature,…), in order to maximize torque production (or overall efficiency), cylinder by cylinder and combustion by combustion, even if the specific operating condition is affected by knock insurgence.
The proposed control strategy has been successfully tested on a V12 6.0 liter and on a V12 6.2 liter high performance engines, and it is now part of the control system of V12 6 liter and V8 4 liter Ferrari engines.
|Technical Paper||Multi Sensing Fuel Injector for Electronically Controlled Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Life of Fuel in Engine Cylinder|
|Technical Paper||Real-Time Combustion Phase Optimization of a PFI Gasoline Engine|
CitationCavina, N., Moro, D., Poggio, L., Zecchetti, D. et al., "Individual Cylinder Combustion Control Based on Real-Time Processing of Ion Current Signals," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1510, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1510.
- Guzzella, L. Onder, C.H. Introduction to Modeling and Control of Internal Combustion Engine Systems Springer 2004
- Gasoline-engine management Robert Bosch Gmbh 1999
- Sobel, J.R. Jeremiasson, J. Wallin, C. Instantaneous Crankshaft Torque Measurement in Cars SAE Technical Paper 960040
- Jeremiasson, J. Wallin, C. Balancing of Individual Cylinders in a V8 Diesel Engine based on Crankshaft Torque Measurement SAE Technical Paper 981063
- Larsson, S. Egardt, B. SI-Engine Spark Advance Control using Torque Sensors IFAC Symposium “Advances in Automotive Control” Salerno, Italy April 2004
- Sellnau, M. C. Matekunas, F. A. Battiston, P. A. Chang, C.-F. Lancaster, D. R. Cylinder-Pressure-Based Engine Control Using Pressure-Ratio-Management and Low-Cost Non-Intrusive Cylinder Pressure Sensors SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0932 2000
- Hosey, R. J. Powell, J. D. Closed-loop, Knock Adaptive Spark Timing Control based on Cylinder Pressure Transactions of ASME 101 March 1979
- Sawamoto, K. Kawamura, Y. Kita, T. Matsushita, K. Individual cylinder knock control by detecting cylinder pressure SAE Technical Paper 871911
- Azzoni et al. ASME Journal of Measurement and Control 2000
- Ball, J.K. Bowe, M.J. Stone, R. McFadden, P.D. Torque Estimation and Misfire Detection using Block Angular Acceleration SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0560
- Cavina, N. Ponti, F. Rizzoni, G. Fast Algorithm for On-Board Torque Estimation SAE Techincal Paper 1999-01-0541
- Saitzkoff, A. Reinmann, R. Berglind, T. Glavmo, M. An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor SAE Technical Paper 960337
- Saitzkoff, A. Reinmann, R. Mauss, F. Glavmo, M. In-Cylinder Pressure Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor SAE Technical Paper 970857
- Reinmann, R. Saitzkoff, A. Mauss, F. Glavmo, M. Local Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as Ionization Sensor SAE Technical Paper 970856
- Zhu, G. G. Daniels, C. F. Winkelman, J. MBT Timing Detection and its Closed-Loop Control using In-Cylinder Ionization Signal SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2976
- Byttner, S. Holmberg, U. Wickström, N. An Ion Current Algorithm for Fast Determination of High Combustion Variability SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0522
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Powell, J.D. Engine control using cylinder pressure: Past, present and future Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 115 343 350 1993
- Syrimis, M. Shigahara, K. Assanis, D. N. Correlation Between Knock Intensity and Heat Transfer Under Light and Heavy Knocking Conditions in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 960495
- Lu, J.-H. et al Effect of Knock in Time Resolved Engine Heat Transfer SAE Technical Paper 890158
- Elmqvist, C. Lindstrom, F. Angstrom, H.-E. Grandin, B. Kalghatgi, G. Optimizing Engine Concepts by Using a Simple Model for Knock Prediction SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3123
- Brunt, M. F. J. Pond, C. R. Biundo, J. Gasoline Engine Knock Analysis using Cylinder Pressure Data SAE Technical Paper 980896
- Millo, F. Ferraro, C. Knock in S.I. Engines: A Comparison between Different Techniques for Detection and Control SAE Technical Paper 982477
- Chun, K. M. Kim, K. W. Measurement and Analysis of Knock in a SI Engine using the Cylinder Pressure and Block Vibration Signals SAE Technical Paper 940146
- Ham, Y. Y. Chun, K. M. Lee, J. H. Chang, K. S. Spark-Ignition Engine Knock Control and Threshold Value Determination SAE Technical Paper 960496
- Ohashi, Y. Koiwa, M. Okamura, K. Ueda, A. The Application of Ionic Current Detection System for the Combustion Condition Control SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0550
- Le Corre, E. Brecq, G. Modeling of In-cylinder Pressure Oscillations Under Knocking Conditions: Introduction to Pressure Envelope Curve SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1126
- Cavina, N. Po, G. Poggio, L. Zecchetti, D. Individual Cylinder Knock Detection Based on Ion Current Sensing: Correlation Analysis Proceedings of ICES2006 2006 Aachen, Germany
- Triantos, G. Shenton, A.T. Carroll, S.D. Minimum Variance Control of Cylinder Peak Pressure Position IFAC Symposium “Advances in Automotive Control” Salerno, Italy April 2004
- Malaczynski, G. W. Baker, M. E. Real-Time Digital Signal Processing of Ionization Current for Engine Diagnostic and Control SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1119
- Hellring, M. Munther, T. Rongvaldsson, T. Wickstrom, N. Carlsson, C. Larsson, M. Nyomt, J. Spark Advance Control using the Ion Current and Neural Soft Sensors SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1162