This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Downsized SI Engine Control: A Torque-based Design from Simulation to Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the development of torque-based engine control strategies for a downsized SI engine, from simulation design to final validation on a demonstration car. One main issue to reach performance, fuel consumption and pollutant emission demands is in-cylinder mass observation and control. A simulation-based approach is first presented to design accurate observers from a reference simulator. In this study, a multivariable and non-linear control has been developed and focused on in-cylinder mass trajectories. It has been tested on a real time Software-In-the-Loop platform before a complete validation and calibration on the test bed. Finally, the complete torque-based engine control has been successfully integrated on the vehicle.
CitationLe Solliec, G., Le Berr, F., Corde, G., and Colin, G., "Downsized SI Engine Control: A Torque-based Design from Simulation to Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1506, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1506.
- Lecointe B. Monnier G. “Downsizing a gasoline engine using turbocharging with direct injection,” SAE Technical Papers , vol. 2003-01-0542 2003
- Corde G. Gissinger G. Le Fort Piat N. 2002
- Albrecht A. Corde G. Knop V. Boie H. Castagne M. “1D simulation of turbocharged gasoline direct injection engine for transient strategy optimization,” SAE Technical Papers , no. 2005-01-0693 2005
- Menegazzi P. Aubret P. Vernhes P-L. “Conventional and Hybrid Vehicle Emission, Fuel Economy and Performance Analysis System Simulation,” FISITA 2004 Barcelona, Spain 2004
- Le Berr F. Miche M. Le Solliec G. Lafossas F-A. Colin G. “Modelling of a Turbocharged SI Engine with Variable Camshaft Timing for Engine Control Purposes,” SAE Technical Papers Toronto 2006
- Colin O. Benkenida A. Angelberger C. “A 3D Modeling of Mixing, Ignition and Combustion Phenomena in Highly Stratified Gasoline Engines,” Oil and Gas Science and Technology 58 47 62 2003
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw Hill 1988
- Sjöberg J. Zhang Q. Ljung L. Benveniste A. Delyon B. Glorennec P. Hjalmarsson H. Juditsky A. “Nonlinear black-box modeling in system identification: a unified overview,” Automatica 31 12 1691 1724 1995
- Norgaard M. Ravn O. Poulsen N. Hansen L. Neural Networks for modeling and control of Dynamics Systems,” Springer 2000
- Colin G. Chamaillard Y. Bloch G. Corde G. “Neural control of fast nonlinear systems - Application to a turbocharged SI engine with VCT” IEEE Transaction on neural networks, to appear 2006