This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Barrier Coatings for High Output Turbocharged Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal barrier coatings (TBC) are perceived as enabling technology to increase low heat rejection (LHR) diesel engine performance and improve its longevity. The state of the art of thermal barrier coating is the plasma spray zirconia. In addition, other material systems have been investigated for the next generation of thermal barrier coatings. The purpose of this TBC program is to focus on developing binder systems with low thermal conductivity materials to improve the coating durability under high load and temperature cyclical conditions encountered in the real engine. Research and development (R&D) and analysis were conducted on aluminum alloy piston for high output turbocharged diesel engine coated with TBC.
CitationSaad, D., Saad, P., Kamo, L., Mekari, M. et al., "Thermal Barrier Coatings for High Output Turbocharged Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1442, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1442.
- Osawa, K., Kamo, R., and Valdmanis, E., “Performance of Thin Thermal Barrier Caoting on Small Aluminum BLOCK Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 910461, 1991.
- Beg R., A., and Bose P., K., “Experimental Investigation on Some Performance Parameters of a Diesel Engine Using Ceramic Coating on the Top of the Piston” SAE Paper 970207, 1997
- Kamo Lloyd, Woods Melvin, Bryzik Walter and Mekari Milad, “Thermal Barrier Coatings for Monolithic Ceramic Low Heat Rejection Diesel Engine Components”. SAE Paper 2000-01-1236
- Kamo, R. Asaanis, D., “Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for Engines,” ASME Paper 89-ICE-14, Presented at the ESTC Conference and Exhibition Houston, Texas, January 1989. Wong Victor, Bauer Wolf, Kamo Roy, Bryzik Waletr, and Reid Michael, “Assessment of Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for I.C. Engines” SAE Paper 950980, 1995.
- Furuhama, S., Enomoto, Y., “Heat Transfer into Combustion Chamber Wall of Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 870153, 1987.
- Kamo, R., Assanis, D., Bryzik, W., “Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for Engines,” SAE Paper 890143, 1989
- “Advanced Coating Developments for Internal Combustion Engine Parts”, Kvernes I. and Hoel R., SAE Paper 870160, SAE Intl. Conf. and Expo., Detroit, MI 1987
- Moore, C., Hoehne, J., “Combustion Chamber Insulation Effect on the Performance of a Low Heat Rejection Cummins V-903 Engine,” SAE Paper 860317, 1986
- Kamo. R., Bryzik W., “Cummins/TACOM Advance Adiabatic-Engine”. SAE Paper - 850359, 1985