This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray Structure Generated by Multi-Hole Injectors for Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of multi-hole injectors designed for use in second-generation direct-injection gasoline engines has been characterised in a constant-volume chamber. Two types of multi-hole injector have been used: the first has 11 holes, with one hole on the axis of the injector and the rest around the axis at 30 degrees apart, and the second has 6 asymmetric holes located around the nozzle axis. Measurements of droplet axial and radial velocity components and their diameter were obtained using a 2-D phase Doppler anemometer (PDA) at injection pressures up to 120 bar, chamber pressures from atmospheric to 8 bar, and ambient temperatures. Complementary spray visualisation made use of a pulsed light and a CCD camera synchronised with the injection process.
Comparison of the results between the two injectors has allowed quantification of the influence of the number of holes and nozzle length-to-diameter ratio on the spray structure and spray tip penetration, droplet velocity and size distribution as a function of injection and chamber pressures of relevance to gasoline passenger cars.
CitationMitroglou, N., Nouri, J., Yan, Y., Gavaises, M. et al., "Spray Structure Generated by Multi-Hole Injectors for Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1417, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1417.
- Wirth, M., Zimmermann D., Friedfeldt R., Caine J., Schamel A., Davies M., Peirce G., Storch A., Ries-Müller K., Gansert K.P., Pilgram G., Ortmann R., Würfel G., Gerhardt J., A Cost Optimised Gasoline Spray Guided Direct Injection System for Improved Fuel Economy, Seminar on Fuel Economy and Engine Downsizing. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, One Birdcage Walk, London, 13 May 2004.
- Fraidl, G., Piock W.F. and Wirth M., The potential of the direct injection gasoline engine. 18th Int. Vienna Motor Symposium, 24-25 April, 1997.
- Wigley, G., Hargrave G.K. and Heath J., A high power, high resolution LDA/PDA system applied to dense gasoline direct injection spray. 9th Int. Symp. on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, 1, Paper 9.4, 1998.
- Shelby, M.H., VanDerWege B.A., and Hochgreb S., Early spray development in gasoline direct-injection spark-ignition engines. SAE 980160, 1998.
- Nouri, J.M., Brehm C. and Whitelaw J.H., The spray from a gasoline direct injector. Proc. ILASS Symposium, 1999.
- Abo-Serie, E., Arcoumanis C. and Gavaises M., Structure of sprays generated by pressure swirl atomisers for direct-injection gasoline engines. Proc. ILASS Symposium, 1999.
- Ipp, W., Wagner H.K., Wensing M., Leipertz A., Arndt S. and Jain A.K., Spray formation of high-pressure swirl gasoline injectors investigated by two-dimensional Mie and LIEF techniques. SAE 1999-01-0498, 1999.
- Nouri, J.M., and Whitelaw J.H., Spray characteristics of a GDI injector with short injection duration. Exp. Fluids, 2001. 31(4): p. 377-383.
- Gavaises, M. and Arcoumanis C., Modelling of sprays from high pressure-swirl atomisers. International Journal of Engine Research, 2001. 2(2): p. p.95-118.
- Nouri, J.M. and Whitelaw J.H., Effect of chamber pressure on the spray structure from a swirl pressure atomiser for direct injection gasoline engine. 1st Int. Conference on Optical and Laser Diagnostics (ICOLAD), London, 2002. p. 121-129.
- Li T., Nishida K. and Hiroyasu H., Characterization of initial spray from a D.I. gasoline injector by holography and laser diffraction method. Atomization and Sprays, 2004. 14: p. 477-494.
- Nouri, J.M. and Whitelaw J.H., Impingement of gasoline sprays on angled plates. Atomization and Sprays, 2006. 16(6): P. 705-726.
- Ortmann, R., Arndt S., Raimann J., Grzeszik R., and Wurfel G., G. Methods and analysis of fuel injection, mixture preparation and charge stratification in different direct-injected SI engines. SAE 2001-01-0970, 2001.
- Arndt, S., Gartung K. and Bruggemann D., Influence of ambient temperature on the evaporation rate of hexadecane droplets Proc. ILASS-Europe 2001.
- Lippert, A. M., El Tahry S., Huebler M.S., Parrish S.E., Inoue H., Noyori T., Nakama K. and Abe T., Development and optimisation of a small-displacement spark-ignition direct-injection engine-Stratified operation. SAE 2004-01-0033, 2004.
- Mitroglou, N., Nouri J.M., Gavaises M. and Arcoumanis C., Spray Characteristics of a multi-hole Injector for Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engines. International Journal of Engine Research, 2006. 7(3): p. 255-270.
- Mitroglou, N., Arcoumanis C., Mori K. and Motoyama Y., Mixture distribution in a multi-valve twin-spark ignition engine equipped with high-pressure multi-hole injectors. Second International Conference on Optical and Laser Diagnostics (ICOLAD), London, 2005.
- Mitroglou N, Multihole Injectors for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines, PhD Thesis, The City University, London, UK, 2006.
- Nouri, J.M., Mitroglou N., Yan Y. and Arcoumanis C., Internal flow and cavitation in a multi-hole injector for gasoline direct injection engines. SAE 2007-01-1405, 2007.
- Schmidt, D.P., Rutland C.J. and Corradini M.L., A Numerical Study of Cavitating Flow Through Various Nozzle Shapes. SAE 971597, 1997.
- Giannadakis, E., Gavaises M., Roth H., and Arcoumanis C.. Cavitation Modelling in Single-Hole Diesel Injector Based on Eulerian-Lagrangian Approach. in Proc. International Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines (THIESEL) Valencia, Spain, 2004.
- Papoulias, D., Giannadakis E., Mitroglou N., Gavaises M. and Theodorakakos A., Cavitation in Fuel Injection Systems for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines. SAE 2007-01-1418, 2007.
- Birth, I.G., Rechs M., Spicher U., and Bernhardt S., Experimental Investigation of the In-Nozzle Flow of Valve Covered Orifice Nozzle for Gasoline Direct Injection. 7th Int. Symp. Internal Combustion Diagnostics, pp. 59-78, Kurhaus Baden-Baden, 2006.
- Skogsberg, M., Dahlander P., Lindgren R. and Denbratt I., Effects of Injector Parameters on Mixture Formation for Multi-Hole Nozzles in a Spray-Guided Gasoline DI Engine. SAE 2005-01-0097, 2005.