This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Study of an Air Assisted Fuel Injector for a D.I.S.I. Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The transient behaviour of the fuel spray from an air assisted fuel injector has been investigated both numerically and experimentally in a Constant Volume Chamber (CVC) and an optical engine. This two phase injector is difficult to analyse numerically and experimentally because of the strong coupling between the gas and liquid phases. The gas driven atomization of liquid fuel involves liquid film formation, separation and break up and also liquid droplet coalescence, break up, splashing, bouncing, evaporation and collision. Furthermore, the liquid phase is the dominant phase in many regions within the injector.
Experimental results are obtained by using Mie scattering, Laser Induced Fluorescence (LIF) and Laser Sheet Drop sizing (LSD) techniques. Computational results are obtained by using a mixed Lagrangian/Eulerian approach in a commercial Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) code. Injector rig results show a good atomization of the spray with low spray width and penetration and Sauter Mean Diameters (SMD) of droplets of order 10 µm. Engine results show a spray with a relatively low penetration producing liquid fuel and vapour fuel concentrations close to the central location of the injector and spark plug for stratified, lean mode of operation. Imaging of this injector operating inside an engine confirms the overall design approach for stratified operation.
CitationBoretti, A., Jin, S., Zakis, G., Brear, M. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Study of an Air Assisted Fuel Injector for a D.I.S.I. Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1415, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1415.
- Smyth J. G. Sczomak D. P. Indra F. “Zentraleinspritzung - die Zukunft der Direkteinspritzung? Central Injection - the Heart of the Next Generation DI-Gasoline Engine?”, 10 Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik 2001 791 816
- Cathcart G. Railton D. “Improving Robustness of Spray Guided DI Combustion Systems: The Air-Assisted Approach” JSAE P. 2001-5360
- Cathcart G. Tubb J. “Application of Air Assisted Direct Fuel Injection to Pressure Charged Gasoline Engines” SAE P. 2002-01-0705
- Cathcart G. Houston R. Ahern S. “The Potential of Gasoline DI for Small Displacement 4-Stroke Motorcycle Applications” SAE P. 2004-32-0098
- Meister G. F. Alajbegovic A. Lai M. Yoo J. “Transient Simulation of DGI Engine Injector with Needle Movement” SAE P. 2002-01-2663
- Cousin J. Ren W. M. Nally S. “Recent Developments in Simulations of Internal Flows in High Pressure Swirl Injectors” Oil & Gas Science and Technology Ð Rev. IFP 54 1999 2 227 231
- Mulemane A. Subramaniyam S. Lu P. Han J. Lai M. Poola R. “Comparing Cavitation in Diesel Injectors Based on Different Modeling Approaches” SAE P. 2004-01-0027
- Masuda R. Fuyuto T. Nagaoka M. von Berg E. Tatschl R. “”Validation of Diesel Fuel Spray and Mixture Formation from Nozzle Internal Flow Calculation” SAE P. 2005-01-2098
- Kong C. Senecal P. Reitz R. “Developments in Spray Modeling in Diesel and Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines” Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP 54 1999 2 197 204
- Suh E. Rutland C. “Numerical Study of Fuel/Air Mixture Preparation in a GDI Engine” SAE P. 1999-01-3657
- Kong S. Marriott C. Rutland C. Reitz R. “Experiments and CFD Modeling of DI Gasoline HCCI Engine Combustion” SAE P. 2002-01-1925
- Chryssakis C. Assanis D. Lee J. Nishida K. “Fuel Spray Simulation of High-Pressure Swirl-Injector for DISI Engines and Comparison with Laser Diagnostic Measurements” SAE P. 2003-01-0007
- Iyer C. Han Z. Yi J. “CFD Modeling of a Vortex Induced Stratification Combustion (VISC) System” SAE P. 2004-01-0550
- Skogsberg M. Dahlander P. Lindgren R. Denbratt I. “Effects of Injector Parameters on Mixture Formation for Multi-Hole Nozzles in A Spray-Guided Gasoline DI Engine” SAE P. 2005-01-0097
- Sovania S.D. Sojkaa P.E. Lefebvre A.H. “Effervescent atomization” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 27 2001 483 521
- Leong M. Y. McDonell V. G. Samuelsen G. S. “Mixing of an Airblast-Atomized Fuel Spray Injected Into a Crossflow of Air” NASA/CR-2000-210467
- Jin S. H. Brear M. J. Zakis G. Watson H. C. Carlisle H. “Effect of Chamber Pressure on the Spray from an Air-Assisted, Direct Fuel Injector” paper presented at the 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion The University of Adelaide Adelaide, AU July 2005
- Stanton D. W. Rutland C. J. “Multi-dimensional modeling of heat and mass transfer of fuel films resulting from impinging sprays” SAE P. 980132
- Raju M.S. “Numerical Investigation of Various Atomization Models in the Modeling of a Spray Flame” NASA/CR-2005-214033
- Assanis D. N. Hong S.J. Nishimura A. Papageorgakis G. Vanzieleghem B. “Studies of Spray Breakup and Mixture Stratification in a Gasoline DI Engine Using KIVA-3V” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power JULY 2000 122 485 492
- Raiu M.S. “LSPRAY-II: A Lagrangian Spray Module” NASA/CR-2004-212958
- Grover R. O., Jr. Assanis D. N. “A Spray Wall Impingement Model Based upon Conservation Principles” paper presented to The Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostic and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA 2001) Nagoya, JP July 2001
- Cathcart G. Zavier C. “Fundamental characteristics of an air-assisted DI combustion system as applied to 4-stroke automotive gasoline engines” SAE P. 2000-01-0256
- Jermy M.C. Greenhalgh D.A. “Planar dropsizing by elastic and fluorescence scattering in sprays too dense for phase Doppler measurement” Appl. Phys. B 71 2000 703 710
- Gal P. Le Farrugia N. Greenhalgh D.A. “Laser Sheet Dropsizing of dense sprays” Optics & Laser Technology 31 1999 75 83
- Habchi C. Foucart H. Baritaud T. “Influence of the wall temperature on the mixture preparation in di gasoline engines” Oil & gas science and technology - Rev.IFP 54 1999 2 211 222
- Wang Y-P. Wilkinson G. B. Drallmeier J. A. “Parametric study on the fuel film breakup of a cold start PFI engine” Experiments in fluids 37 2004 385 398
- Zavier C. private communication Orbital Australia Pty. Ltd.
- Boretti A. “Experimental Study of a Two phaseFlow in the Near Field of an Air Blast Atomizer” paper presented at the “ASME/ASCE Mechanics Conference Forum on Turbulent Flows 1989” La Jolla, CA July 1989 76
- Hiroyasu, H. “Diesel Engine Combustion and Its Modeling” paper presented at the “Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Reciprocating Engines (COMODIA 85)” Tokyo, JP September 1985 53 75
- Laguitton, O. Gold, M.R. Kennaird, D.A. Crua, C. Lacoste, J. Heikal, M.R. “Spray development and combustion characteristics for common rail diesel injection systems” paper presented to the “IMechE Conference on Fuel Injection Systems” London, UK November 2002