This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three-Dimensional Structure of Portevin-Le Chatelier Bands and Shear Bands in Strip Cast AA5754 Sheets Using Digital Image Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Strip cast AA5754 sheets are of interest for automotive interior panel applications. However, Portevin-Le Chatelier (PLC) bands are seen in this material and cause surface quality concerns. Moreover, shear banding is the main failure mechanism of this material. However, the relationship between PLC bands and shear bands is still controversial in the literature. In order to delineate this problem, the digital image correlation (DIC) strain mapping technique is used to explore the three-dimensional structures of PLC bands and shear bands in AA5754 sheets.
Two-dimensional DIC measurements were carried out simultaneously on both of the sheet sample surfaces (front and back side) of an AA5754 tensile sample using a commercially available optical strain mapping DIC-based system (Aramis). DIC measurements were also conducted on the thickness direction. Based on the strain mapping results, the three dimensional structures of both PLC bands and shear bands are constructed. The results show that the PLC bands penetrate through the thickness and carry small strain increments (2-3%) higher than the nominal applied strain. The shear bands penetrate through the thickness with a more complex three-dimensional structure and are independent of prior PLC bands. The development of PLC and shear bands changes with tensile stress state (uniaxial tension and plane strain tension) and strain rate.
- Raja K. Mishra - General Motors Research and Development Center
- Mukesh Jain - Department of Mechanical Engineering, McMaster University
- Jidong Kang - Department of Materials Science and Engineering, McMaster University
- David S. Wilkinson - Department of Materials Science and Engineering, McMaster University
CitationKang, J., Wilkinson, D., Jain, M., and Mishra, R., "Three-Dimensional Structure of Portevin-Le Chatelier Bands and Shear Bands in Strip Cast AA5754 Sheets Using Digital Image Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1381, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1381.
- Li M. Lege D. J. Serrated flow and surface markings in aluminum alloys J. Eng. Mater. Technol 1998 120 48 56
- Bird J.E. Newman K.E. Narasimhan K. Carlson J.M. Heterogeneous initiation and growth of sample-scale shear bands during necking of Al-Mg sheet Acta metall 1987 35 2971 2982
- King J. E. You C. P. Knott J. F. Serrated yield and the localized shear failure mode in aluminum alloys Acta Metallurgica 1981 29 1553 1566
- Kang J. Wilkinson D. S. Embury J.D. Jain M. Beaudoin A. J. Effect of Type-B Portevin-Le Chatelier Bands on the Onset of Necking in Uniaxial Tension of Strip Cast AA5754 Sheets Scripta Materialia 2005 53 499 503
- Lebyodkin M. Brechet Y. Estrin Y. Kubin L. Statistical behavior and strain localization patterns in the Portevin-Le Chatellier effect Acta Materilia 1996 44 4531 4541
- Zdunek J. Spychalski W.L. Mizera J. Kurzydlowski K.J. The influence of specimens geometry on the PLC effect in Al-Mg-Mn (5182) alloy, Materials Characterization (in press)
- Bruck H. A. McNeill S. R. Sutton M. A. Peters W.H. III Digital image correlation using Newton-Raphson method of partial differential correlation Experimental Mechanics 1982 39 3 261 267
- Aramis v5.3.08 manual, GOM mbH Braunschweig, Germany 2001
- Tong W. Tao H. Zhang N. Hector L.G. Jr. Time-resolved strain mapping measurements of individual Portevin-Le Chatelier deformation bands Scripta Materialia 2005 53 87 92
- Korbel A. Embury J. D. Hatherly M. Martin P. L. Erbsloh H. W. Microstructural aspects of strain localization in Al-Mg alloys Acta metall 1986 34 1999 2009
- Kang J. Wilkinson D.S. Jain M. Embury J.D. Beaudoin A.J. Kim S. Mishira R. Sachdev A.K. On the sequence of inhomogeneous deformation processes occurring during tensile deformation of strip cast AA5754 Acta Materialia 2006 54 209 218
- Spencer K. Corbin S.F. Lloyd D.J. Notch fracture behavior of 5754 automotive aluminum alloys Materials Science and Engineering A 2002 332 81 90
- Yoshida S. Toyooka S. Field theoretical interpretation on dynamics of plastic deformation-Portevin-Le Chatellier effect and propagation of shear band J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 2001 13 6741 6757
- Kang J. Wilkinson D.S. Embury J.D. Hussain K. Investigation of mechanism of ductile fracture of AA5754 sheet Materials Science Forum 2006 519-521 985 990