This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (EHVA) for Medium Speed Diesel Engines - Development Steps with Simulations and Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (EHVA) is one of the most promising ways to improve the performance and reduce the emissions of the diesel engines. The EHVA gives fully variable lift and event duration of the gas exchange valves and thus the combustion process can be better controlled in different operation points such as idle and partial load situation. Also totally new kind of gas exchange processes are possible to achieve.
This paper consists of alternative solutions of EHVA systems, the comparison of them by means of simulation and measurements, the empirical tests of EHVA system in a laboratory and finally conclusion and future research activities.
The developed EHVA system fulfills the requirements very well. The lift of the gas exchange valve is fast enough, and the seating velocity is under control. The system is able to run with open and closed loop control.
- Mika Herranen - Tampere University of Technology/ Institute of Hydraulics and Automation (TUT/IHA)
- Kalevi Huhtala - Tampere University of Technology/ Institute of Hydraulics and Automation (TUT/IHA)
- Matti Vilenius - Tampere University of Technology/ Institute of Hydraulics and Automation (TUT/IHA)
- Gösta Liljenfeldt - Wärtsilä Finland Oy
CitationHerranen, M., Huhtala, K., Vilenius, M., and Liljenfeldt, G., "The Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (EHVA) for Medium Speed Diesel Engines - Development Steps with Simulations and Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1289, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1289.
- Aaltonen J Huhtala K Vilenius M “Electrohydraulic Valvetrain for Extreme Value Diesel Engine,” SAE 2002-01-1282
- Fecht Dennis D. Funke Steven J. Meister Steven F. “Hydraulically Actuated Valve System,” 1996
- Scharnweber David H. “Engine Valve Actuator with Differential Area Pistons,” 1997
- Ulrich Letsche Andreas Rehberger Frank Iberle “Hydraulic Valve Control Device,” 1997
- Sturman Oded E. “Hydraulic Actuator for an Internal Combustion Engine,” 1999
- Turner Christopher W. Babbit Guy R. Balton Christopher S. Raimao Miguel A. Giordano Daniel D. “Design and Control of a Two-stage Electro-hydraulic Valve Actuation System,” SAE 2004-01-1265
- Pischinger Martin Salber Wolfgang van der Staay Frank Baumgarten Henning Kemper Hans “Benefits of the Electromechanical Valve Train in Vehicle Operation,” SAE 2000-01-1223