This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Aspects of New Catalyzed Diesel Soot Filters Based on Advanced Oxide Filter Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Catalyzed soot filters are being fitted to an increasing range of diesel-powered passenger cars in Europe. While the initial applications used silicon carbide wall-flow filters, oxide-based filters are now being successfully applied. Oxide-based filters can offer performance and system cost advantages for applications involving both a catalyzed filter with a separate oxidation catalyst, and a catalyzed filter-only that incorporates all necessary catalytic oxidation functions. Advanced diesel catalyst technologies have been developed for alternative advanced oxide filter materials, including aluminum titanate and advanced cordierite. In the development of the advanced catalyzed filters, improvements were made to the filter material microstructures that were coupled with new catalyst formulations and novel coating processes that had synergistic effects to give enhanced overall performance. This paper discusses relevant system performance criteria including pressure-drop, emissions, thermal-mechanical influences and the overall system durability in tests under certain controlled test conditions.
CitationCutler, W., Boger, T., Chiffey, A., Phillips, P. et al., "Performance Aspects of New Catalyzed Diesel Soot Filters Based on Advanced Oxide Filter Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1268, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1268.
- Ogunwumi S. Tepesch P. “Aluminum-Titanate Based Materials for Diesel Particulate Filters,” 28th International Cocoa Beach Conference on Advanced Ceramics & Composites 2004
- Ogunwumi S. Tepesch P. D. Chapman T. Warren C. J. Melscoet-Chauvel I. M. Tennent D. L. “Aluminum Titanate Compositions for Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE 2005-01-0583 2005
- Kercher L. Rose D. Boger T. Cutler W.A. Dusterdiek T. Dorenkamp R. Kahmann G. “Application of a New Filter Material in Volkswagen's Diesel Particulate Filter Systems,” Emission Control Dresden 2006
- Boger T. Heibel A.K. Rose D. Cutler W.A. Tennant D.L. “Evaluation of New Diesel Particulate Filters based on Stabilized Aluminum Titanate,” MTZ 66 9 2005
- Heibel A. Schultes J. Bhargava R. Boger T. Rose D. Pittner O.A. “Performance and Durability Evaluation of the New Corning DuraTrap® AT Diesel Particulate Filter - Results from Engine Bench and Vehicle Tests,” Aachen 2005 193 218
- Pidria M. Borla E.M. Gioannini A. Boger T. Cutler W.A. Valentini A. “Experimental Characterization of Diesel Soot Regeneration in Cordierite Filters,” Fisita F2006P247 2006
- Chiffey A.F. Phillips P.R. Swallow D. Twigg M.V. Cutler W.A: Boger T. Rose D. Kercher L. Performance of New Catalyzed Diesel Soot Filters Based on Advanced Oxide Filter Materials 4 th FAD Conference “Challenge - Exhaust Aftertreatment for Diesel Engines” Dresden 2006
- Blakeman P.G. Chiffey A.F. Phillips P.R. Twigg M.V. Walker A.P. 2003 “Developments in Diesel Emissions Aftertreatment Technology” SAE 2003-01-3753
- Chiffey A.F. Cutler W.A. Merkel G.A Phillips P.R. Tao T. Twigg M.V. Walker A.P. 9 th DEER conference “New Cordierite Diesel Particulate Filters for Catalysed and Non-catalysed Applications” 2003
- Young D. Hickman D. Gunasekaran N. Bhatia G. “Ash Storage Concept for Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE 2004-01-0948 2004
- Heibel A. et. al. “Advanced Diesel Particulate filter Design for Lifetime Pressure Drop Solution in Light Duty applications,” SAE 07SFL-60 2007
- European Parliament's Committee on Transport and Tourism Meeting Notes June 2006
- EU Commission Proposal 2005
- Cutler W. “Overview of Ceramic Materials for Diesel Particulate Applications,” Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc. 25 3 421 430 2004
- Boger T. 2006
- Boger T. et. al. “On Road Durability and Field Experience Obtained with Corning's New DuraTrap AT Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE 07PFL-118 2007