This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Characterization of Fouling in Cooled EGR Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation was performed to characterize the effect of soot deposition on the performance of EGR coolers. The main objective was to determine the magnitude of the thermal resistance associated to the fouling on heat exchange surfaces. So far, values coming from literature have been used and generalized for all the heat exchanger technologies, sizes and operation conditions. What is more, normally the effect of fouling has been evaluated directly in the thermal efficiency or overall thermal resistance as a percentage factor. The study has enabled to establish a range of thermal resistance for each heat exchanger technology in a given operation condition. It has been proved that the proper way to consider fouling is to include this thermal resistance in the dimensioning tool for EGR coolers. Though the tests performed do not intend to be comparative with general durability, they help to understand the effect on different technologies and sizes. The study has been focused on a stationary condition, however the comparison when adding in a cyclic way other operation conditions has been also considered. Finally, it has been also intended to implement de-fouling strategies to recover partially the loss in thermal efficiency.
CitationBravo, Y., Moreno, F., and Longo, O., "Improved Characterization of Fouling in Cooled EGR Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1257, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1257.
- Bravo Y. Lázaro J.L. García Bernad J.L. “Study of Fouling Phenomena on EGR Coolers due to Soot Deposits. Development of a Representative Test Method.” 2005-01-1143 , SAE congress 2005
- Charnay L. Söderberg E. Malmlöf Clas Öhlund Per Östling Lars Fredholm Sten “Effect of fouling on the efficiency of a Shell-and-tube EGR cooler” 2000
- Zhan R. Charles F. Ewing D. Chang J-S Cotton J.S. “Effect of Diesel Soot Deposition on the Performance of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Devices” 2204-01-0122, SAE congress 2004
- Bravo Y. Catalán M.T. Pérez C. “Efficient EGR Cooler Technologies for Euro 5 - compliant engines” SIA congress 2006
- Kakaç Sakik Liu Hongtan “Heat exchangers. Selection, rating and thermal design” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Miami 1998
- Tochon P. “Etude bibliographique sur les risques d'encrassement d'un échangeur pour recyclage des gaz d'échappements (EGR)”
- Perez J-M “Depôt anisotherme de fines particules sur des surfaces lisses our ailetées application a l'encrassement des échangeurs sur fumées de moteur Diesel” These L'Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon
- Shah R.K. “Fouling in CHEs” Compact Heat Exchangers 2000