This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Vehicle Air Conditioning Systems Using Heat Load Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this paper is to describe a Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) model and its applications for A/C system development at early design stages. This CAE tool calculates the heat load of the vehicle passenger compartment with considerations of solar radiation, conductive/convective heat transfer through the body shell, and any passengers present in the vehicle. A data bank of 6 glass types, 9 surface finishes and 15 material properties are available to increase simulation flexibility.
This heat load model can be used as a stand alone tool to calculate the steady-state thermal load of the passenger compartment under users' pre-defined conditions. When interfaced with an A/C refrigerant subsystem model, this integrated CAE tool is capable of evaluating the impacts on A/C system performance when body structures and/or operating conditions are changed. This paper presents details of the heat load model and the analyses conducted to help develop more efficient climate control systems at FORD.
CitationHuang, D., Wallis, M., Oker, E., and Lepper, S., "Design of Vehicle Air Conditioning Systems Using Heat Load Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1196, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1196.
- Duffie, J.A., Beckman, W.A., “Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1991.
- Rugh, J., Malaney, V., “Comparison of Indoor Vehicle Thermal Soak Tests to Outdoor Tests”, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1376, 2004.
- Smith, B., Carr, D., Gutierrez, E., Putman, W., “Solar Simulation for Automotive HVAC Climatic Test Cell Applications”, SAE Paper No. 910219, 1991.
- Fanger, P.O. Thermal Comfort, McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1970.
- Arici, O., Yang, S.L., Huang, D.C., and Oker, E., “Computer Model for Automobile Climate Control System Simulation and Application”, International Journals of Applied Thermodynamics, Vol. 2, (No.2), pp.59-69, June, 1999.
- Huang, D.C., Oker, E., Yang, S.L., Arici, O., “A Dynamic Computer-Aided Engineering Model for Automobile Climate Control System Simulation and Application”, Part II: Passenger Compartment Simulation and Applications, SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1196, March, 1999.
- Rugh, J.P., Hendricks, T., “Effect of Solar Reflective Glazing on Ford Explorer Climate Control, Fuel Economy, and Emissions”, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-3077, 2001.
- Chiou, J.P., “Sunroofs and the Cooling Loads of Automobile Air Conditioners”, SAE Paper No.870031, 1987