This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooling with Augmented Heated and Cooled Seats
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Heating and cooling automotive seats are a relatively new technology that delivers conditioned air to the occupant's seat providing an overall improvement in occupant comfort. This paper combines experimental and computational data to describe the effect of seat cooling on occupant comfort. Included are (1) a review of current seat cooling technologies, (2) the introduction of an innovative seat cooling technology using the vehicle's HVAC system, (3) the inclusion of thermal comfort seat strategy for improving overall comfort, and (4) validation of the thermal comfort seat strategy with experimental data. The paper focuses on the occupant's overall comfort in cooling mode under different ambient conditions.
CitationWolfe, N., Mu, X., Huang, L., and Kadle, P., "Cooling with Augmented Heated and Cooled Seats," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1193, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1193.
- Currle J. “Numerical Study of the Flow in a Passenger Compartment and Evaluation of Thrmal Comfort of the Occupants” SAE Paper 970529 Mar. 1997
- Currle J. Maué J. “Numerical Study of the Influence of Air Vent Area and Air Mass Flux on the Thermal Comfort of Car Occupants” SAE Paper 2000-01-0980 Mar. 2000
- Han T. Huang L. Kelly S. Huizenga C. Hui Z. “Virtual Thermal Comfort Engineering” SAE Paper 2001-01-0588 Mar. 2001
- Han T. Huang L. “A Model for Relating a Thermal Comfort Scales to EHT Comfort Index” SAE Paper 2004-01-0919 Mar. 2004
- Huang L. Han T. “Validation of 3-D Passenger Compartment Hot Soak and Cool-Down Analysis for Virtual Thermal Comfort Engineering” SAE Paper 2002-01-1304 Mar. 2002
- Han T. Huang L. “A Sensitivity Study of Occupant Thermal Comfort in a Cabin Using Virtual Thermal Comfort Engineering” SAE Paper 2005-01-1509 Mar. 2005
- Michalsky J. “The Astronomical Almanac's algorithm for approximate solar position (1950-2050)” Solar Energy 40 3 227 235 1998
- Corrado J. V. Pretti M. Sacchi A. “Routine for the Calculation of Angle Factors between Human Body and Car Drivers’ Cabin,” SAE Technical Paper Series 95A1054 1995 421 429
- Wang M. Farley D. L. Leitzel L. “Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of A/C System Head Pressure Spike during Vehicle Acceleration,” SAE Paper 2000-01-0973 Mar. 2000
- Stolwijk J. A. J. Hardy J. D. “Temperature Regulation in Man - A Theoretical Study” Pflugers Archiv Ges. Physiol 1966 129 162
- Huizenga C. Hui Z. Arens E. “A Model of Human Physiology and Comfort for Assessing Complex Thermal Environments,” Buildings & Environment, In press 2000
- Stolwijk J. A. J. Hardy J. D. “Partitional Calorimetric Studies of Responses of Man to Thermal Transients,” Journal of Applied Physiology 1966 21 1799 1806
- Birch S. D. Ramadhyani S. Pearson J. T. “Analysis of passenger Thermal Comfort in An Automobile under Severe Winter Conditions,” ASHRAE Transactions 1991
- Morton W. E. Hearle J. W. S. “Physical Properties of Textile Fibres,” Manchester, UK: The Textile Institute 1993
- Bohm M. Browen M. Holmer I. Nilsson H. Noren O. “Evaluation of Vehicle Climate with a Thermal Manikin - The Relationship between Human Temperature Experience and Local Heat Loss,” Swedish Institute of Agricultural Engineering. JTI-Report 123 1990
- Wyon D. P. Larsson S. Forsgren B. Lundgren I. “Standard Procedures for Assessing Vehicle Climate with a Thermal Manikin,” SAE Technical Paper Series 890049 1989 1 11
- Bazett C. McGlone B. et al “The Temperatures in the Tissue which Accompany Temperature Sensations” Journal of Physiology (London) 88 12 1930