This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Torque Controlled Active Steering with Improving the Vehicle Stability for Brushless EPS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article discusses a vehicle stability improvement control method that utilizes an electric power steering system (EPS) with blushless motor. The purpose is to improve the vehicle stability by increasing the steering return torque in a region where the alignment torque is saturated due to the driver's excessive steering maneuver on a slippery road. In this study, a factor analysis was performed for the alignment torque on a slippery road and the basic control to improve the vehicle dynamics stability is studied by using a linear m1odel. Next, a new control algorithm was developed based on these studies. Finally, the new control algorithm was verified to be effective through an on-vehicle test. The proposed strategy can be realized only by adding a steering wheel angle sensor signal to a conventional EPS. That can be easily obtained from electronic stability control system.
CitationTanaka, H., Hitosugi, K., Kurishige, M., and Kifuku, T., "Development of Torque Controlled Active Steering with Improving the Vehicle Stability for Brushless EPS," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1147, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1147.
- Endo M. et al. “Cooperative Control of Active Front Steering and Electric Power Steering Based on Self-aligning Torque” AVEC Paper No.115 2006
- Kurishige M. et al. “A New EPS Control Strategy To Improve Steering Wheel Returnability” SAE Paper 2000-01-0815 2000
- Kurishige M. et al. “An EPS Control Strategy to Improve Steering Maneuverability on Slippery Roads” SAE Paper 2002-01-0619 2002
- Tanaka H. et al. “Torque Controlled Active Steer for EPS” AVEC Paper No.83 2004
- Post J. W. “Modeling and Testing of Automobile Power Steering Systems for the Evaluation of On-Center Handling” Ph.D. Dissertation Clemson University 1995
- Yamawaki S. Shimizu Y. “A study on steering torque control using driving diagram at the oversteer (in Japanese)” JSME, Paper No.99-59 1999
- Nakajima K. et al. “A Vehicle State Detection Method Based on Estimated Aligning Torque using EPS” SAE Paper 2005-01-1265 2005