This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Friction Stir Welding of Dissimilar Magnesium Alloys for Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this research, the feasibility of FSW dissimilar magnesium alloys was investigated. Specifically, die cast MRI-153M and wrought AZ31 were butt-welded. The effects of weld parameters such as tool rotation and weld speed on the weld quality have been characterized in terms of macrostructure, microstructure, hardness profile as well as tensile strength. A relatively wide FSW process window exists to achieve void-free welds. In the stir zone MRI-153M transforms from cast structure to fine grain structure during FSW, while AZ31 transforms from originally twinned grains to equi-axed grains without twins. MRI-153M in the stir zone becomes stronger than the base metal and the stir zone on the AZ31 side becomes weaker than the base metal. Tensile coupons failed in the base metal of MRI-153M, and the tensile strength was found to depend on the quality of the base metal of MRI-153M. The FSW process was successfully demonstrated on an oil pan made from dissimilar Mg alloys of die cast MRI-153M and wrought AZ31.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||General Data on Wrought Aluminum Alloys|
|Technical Paper||Properties of Magnesium Plaster Castings|
|Technical Paper||Effects of Ni, Cu, Si and Co on the Corrosion Properties of Permanent Mould Cast Medallions and Die Cast Plates of Magnesium Alloy AZ91|
CitationHunt, F., Yang, Q., Badarinarayan, H., Okamoto, K. et al., "Friction Stir Welding of Dissimilar Magnesium Alloys for Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1026, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1026.
- Powell B. et al. “Progress Toward a Magnesium-Intensive Engine: the USAMP Magnesium Powertrain Cast Components Project” SAE 2004-01-0654
- Thomas W. M. et al. “Friction stir butt welding” International patent application PCT/GB92/02203
- Wylde J. G. “Friction Stir Welding Creating Opportunities for the Future” J. JILM, 50-5(2000) 189 197
- Johnson R. et al. “Friction stir welding of magnesium alloys” Proc. of 4th Int. symposium on FSW Utah, USA 2003
- Li Naiyi et al. “Friction Stir Welding Magnesium AM60 Alloy” Magnesium Technology, TMS 2004
- Okamoto K. et al. “Friction Stir Welding of Magnesium for Automotive Applications” SAE 2005-01-0730
- Hunt F. et al. “Friction Stir Welding of Magnesium Oil Pan” TMS 2007 Annual Meeting Orlando USA 2007