This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real-time Adaptive Predictive Control of the Diesel Engine Air-path Based on Fuzzy Parameters Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a robust adaptive optimal tracking control design for the air-path system of diesel engines with uncertain parameters and external driver commands is proposed.
First, an optimal controller based on the analytic solution of a performance index is derived. It achieves tracking of suitable references (corresponding to low emissions and fuel consumption) for both the air-fuel ratio and the fraction of the recirculated exhaust gas. Then, a fuzzy estimation algorithm is used to identify the plant parameters and consequently to adapt the controller online.
The simulated diesel engine is a medium duty Caterpillar 3126B with six cylinders, equipped with a variable geometry turbocharger and an exhaust gas recirculation valve. The proposed controller design is based on the reduced third order mean value model and implemented as a closed-form nonlinear model predictive control law on the full order model. The resulting controllers, with and without adaptation, are assessed through simulations with a SIL architecture using dSpace simulator. The adaptive controller, in particular, exhibits good control performance, with zero tracking offset with also ensuring global stability and tracking of output references.
CitationPlianos, A., Stobart, R., and Achir, A., "Real-time Adaptive Predictive Control of the Diesel Engine Air-path Based on Fuzzy Parameters Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0971, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0971.
- Ladommatos N., Abdelhalim S.M., Zhao H., , and Hu Z.. The dilution, chemical, and thermal effects of exhaust gas recirculation on diesel engine emissions - part 1: Effect of reducing inlet charge oxygen. SAE paper 961165, 1996.
- Jankovic Mrdjan, Jankovic Miroslava, and Kolmanovsky Ilya. Constructive lyapunov control design for the turbocharger diesel engines. IEEE Transactions on Control systems Technology, 8(2):288-299, 2000.
- Larsen Michael, Jankovic Mrdjan, and Kokotovic Peter. Coordinated passivation designs. Automatica, 39:335-341, 2003.
- Ammann M., Fekete N.P., Guzzella L., and Glattfelder A.H.. Model-based control of the vgt and egr in a turbocharged common-rail diesel engine: Theory and passenger car implementation. SAE Electronic Engine Controls, (2003-01-0357):29-40, 2003.
- De Nicolao G., Magni L., and Scattolini R.. Nonlinear recenting horizon control of internal combustion engines. Progress in Systems and Control Theory, 26:449-459, 2000.
- Clarke D. W.. Advances in model-based predictive control. Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Demircioglu H. and Gawthrop P. J.. Continuous-time generalised predictive control. Automatica, 27(1):55-74, 1991.
- Demircioglu H. and Gawthrop P. J.. Multivarible continuous-time generalised predictive control. Automatica, 28(4):697-713, 1992.
- Chen W-H., Ballance D. J., and Gawthrop P. J.. Nonlinear generalised predictive control and an optimal dynamic inversion control. 14th IFAC World Congress, E:415-420, 1999.
- Tanaka Kazuo and Wang Hua O.. Fuzzy control systems design and analysis: A linear matrix inequality approach. Wiley & Sons,Inc, 2001.
- Chen W-H., Ballance D. J., and Gawthrop P. J.. Optimal control of nonlinear systems: a predictive control approach. Automatica, 39:633-641, 2003.
- Park Chang-Woo and Cho Young-Wan. T - S model based indirect adaptive fuzzy control using online parameter estimation. IEEE transactions on systems, man, and cybernetics; part b: cybernetics, 34, No:6:2293-2302, 2004.
- Jankovic Mrdjan, Jankovic Miroslava, and Kolmanovsky Ilya. Robust nonlinear controller for turbocharged diesel engines. Proceedings of the 1998 American Control Confernce, pages 1389-1394, 1998.
- Kolmanovsky I., Moraal P., van Nieuwstadt M., and Stefanopoulou A.. Issues in modeling and control of intake flow in variable geometry turbocharged engines. in Proc. 18th IFIP Conf. Syst. Modeling and Optimization, Detroit, Michigan, 1997.
- Moraal Paul and Kolmanovsky Ilya. Turbocharger modeling for automotive control applications. SAE, (1999-01-0908):1324-1338, 1999.
- Stefanopoulou Anna, Kolmanovsky Ilya, and FreudenbergJ.S. Control of variable geometry turbocharged diesel engines for reduced emissions. IEEE Transactions on Control systems Technology, 8(4):733-745, 2000.
- Basic M., Cannon M., and Kouvaritakis B.. Invariant sets for feedback linearisation based nonlinear predictive control. IEE Proceedings- Control Theory Applications, 152 (3):259-265, 2005.
- Isidori Alberto. Nonlinear Control Systems. Springer-Verlag, 1995.
- Cho Young-Wan and Park Chang-Woo. On-line parameter estimation scheme for uncertain takagi-sugeno fuzzy models. International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, 2, No:1:68-75, 2004.
- van Nieuwstadt M.J., Moraal P.E., Kolmanovsky I.V., Stefanopoulou A., Wood P., and Criddle M.. Desentralized and multivariable designs for egr-vgt control of a diesel engine. in IFAC Workshop on Advances in Automotive Control, Mohican State Park, OH, 1998.