This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Refinements of a Heavy Truck ABS Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 2004, a model of a 6s6m ABS controller was developed in order to support NHTSA's efforts in the study of heavy truck braking performance. This model was developed using Simulink and interfaced with TruckSim, a vehicle dynamics software package, in order to create an accurate braking simulation of a 6×4 Peterbilt straight truck. For this study, the vehicle model braking dynamics were improved and the ABS controller model was refined. Also, the controller was made adaptable to ABS configurations other than 6s6m, such as 4s4m and 4s3m. Controller models were finally validated to experimental data from the Peterbilt truck, gathered at NHTSA's Vehicle Research and Test Center (VRTC).
CitationShurtz, M., Guenther, D., Heydinger, G., and Zagorski, S., "Refinements of a Heavy Truck ABS Model," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0839, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0839.
- Dunn, Ashley, L. Jackknife Stability of Articulated Tractor Semitrailer Vehicles with High-Output Brakes and Jackknife Detection on Low Coefficient Surfaces Ph.D. Dissertation The Ohio State University 2003
- Dunn, A. L. Heydinger, G. J. Guenther, D. A. “In-Depth Analysis of the Influence of High Torque Brakes on the Jackknife Stability of Heavy Trucks,” SAE Paper 2003-01-3398 2003
- Zagorski, Scott, B. Compatibility of ABS Disc/Drum Brakes on Class VIII Vehicles with Multiple Trailers and their Effect on Jackknife Stability M.S. Thesis The Ohio State University 2003
- Zagorski, S. B. Guenther, D. A. Heydinger, G. J. “A Study of Jackknife Stability of Class VIII Vehicles with Multiple Trailers with ABS Disc/Drum Brakes,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1741 2004
- Zaugg, Brian, C. Development of Heavy Truck ABS and Limit Maneuvers Model M.S. Thesis The Ohio State University 2004
- Zaugg, B. C. Heydinger, G. J. Guenther, D. A. Dunn, A. L. Zagorski, S.B. Grygier, P.A. “The Development of a Heavy Truck ABS Model,” SAE Paper 2005-01-0413 2005
- Shurtz, Matthew, L. Effects of ABS Controller Parameters on Heavy Truck Model Braking Performance M.S. Thesis The Ohio State University 2006
- Meritor WABCO Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) for Trucks, Tractors, and Buses Maintenance Manual MM-0112 8 Arvin Meritor Tech Library 2001