This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Instrument-Panel Head Form Impact Test: Effects of Different Impactors & Test Methodologies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Head impact protection is one of the major criteria for occupant safety. Testing labs across the world use two kinds of impactor i.e. linear impactor and pendulum impactor for development of interior fitments. There has always been debate on the usage of these impactors among vehicle manufacturers and testing agencies. Three different kinds of impact methods are widely used by OEM's and testing agencies namely:
Linear impactor in longitudinal plane (LILP)
Pendulum impactor in longitudinal plane (PILP)
Pendulum impactor in accidental plane (PIAP)
This paper studies different impact testing methods. Head form impacts have been carried out on standard instrument panel of same production batch at selected points with accurate & repetitive physical setting in order to reduce the statistical variations. Laboratory test results were correlated with simulation results. Impact simulations have been used all over the world for development purposes . This paper highlights the effect of head form trajectory and type of impactor on deceleration levels.
CitationSharma, M., Pandey, R., and Gupta, A., "Instrument-Panel Head Form Impact Test: Effects of Different Impactors & Test Methodologies," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0706, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0706.
- Keranen M KrishanRaj S. “Automating Instrument panel - Head impact simulation” SAE Paper # 2005-01-1221
- ECE R21 regulation dated March 2003 Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to their interior fittings
- Report of UTAC France Ref no R21MARUTI800-0405533 2004
- LIVERMORE SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION (LSTC) “LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual Volume 1” 960 2001
- LIVERMORE SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION (LSTC) “LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual Volume 2 (Material Modes, References and Appendices)” 960 2001
- IS15223:2002 Automotive vehicles - Interior fitting - Specification.
- Multi impactor machine (MY2004) HodoGaya Giken Company Yokohama, Japan.