This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study Regarding Effects of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Poisoning Due to Impurities on Fuel Cell Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to assess the effect of PEM-FC poisoning resulting from impurities on PEM-FC performance, this paper investigated contents as follows; · Estimation for composition and concentration of impurities contained within hydrogen fuel and air. · The prediction of poisoning extent and proposal of assessment index for impurity poisoning. · Allowable mixing concentration of impurities for the standard H2 fuel. The analysis and experiment are conducted under 70 °C and 1 bar for operating temperature and pressure. PEM-FC with Pt and Pt-Ru type catalytic-electrode was used. It was observed that: · CO poisoning was reversible but H2S and SO2 poisonings were irreversible. It was also confirmed that sulfur compounds poisoning was very strong. On the contrary, poisoning of HCHO and CH4 etc. was slight or negligible. · In case of cathode electrode, the effect of NO2 and SO2 poisoning on PEM-FC performance was severe when CO poisoning was negligible.
|Journal Article||Development of a Fuel Economy and Exhaust Emissions Test Method with HILS for Heavy-Duty HEVs|
CitationNarusawa, K., Myong, K., Murooka, K., and Kamiya, Y., "A Study Regarding Effects of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Poisoning Due to Impurities on Fuel Cell Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0698, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0698.
- Shimizu Hiroshi “Electric Vehicles” The Nikkan Kogyo Shim bun LTD
- Kamiya Yushi “Practical Use of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle is Near at Hand” The Journal of The Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan 120 3 165 168 2000
- Watanabe Shogo “Outline of Fuel Cells and Fuel Cell Vehicles” Instructional Materials for Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Symposium 98-25 9 16 1998
- Iwashita Takuro Machida Jun Kusaka Jin Daisho Yasuhiro “Reformation Characteristics of Various Fuels in a Fuel Cell System” Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers II 437 438 2001
- Moore Joe M. Adcock Paul L. Lakeman J. Barry Mepsted Gary O. “The Effects of battlefield contaminants on PEMFC performance” Journal of Power Sources 85 254 260 2000
- Honma Takuya Kamiya Yushi et. al. “Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells”
- Kurashima Daisuke Kamiya Yushi Roppongi Hitoshi Narusawa Kazuyuki Hayashida Morimasa Wakabayashi Katsuhiko “Study on a Decline in Fuel Cell Performance Resulting from Hydrogen Fuel Containing Impurities” Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan Symposium 87-01 74 18 21 2001
- Kamiya Yushi Narusawa Kazuyuki Hayashida Morimasa Kurashima Daisuke Wakabayashi Katsuhiko “Analyses on a Declining Performance of PEMFC with Fuel Containing Impurities -1st Report, Proposal of Analytical Methods adopting the Poisoning Prediction Formulas and the Poisoning Estimation Coefficient-” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 68-668 01-1154 317 322 2002
- Yoshii Tominaga “Catalytic Chemistry”
- Nonobe Yasuhiro Kimura Yoshio Ogino Shigeru “A Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle with Methanol Reformer” Proceedings of the 14th International Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS) 1997
- Yonezu Ikuo “Currently-Developed Fuel Cells for Household Use and Problems to be Solved” Supplementary Documentation for Regular Meeting of SEV/Electric Vehicle Research Society Kanto Area 1999