This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Measurement of In-Cylinder Temperature and Residual Gas Concentration in the Vicinity of the Spark Plug by Wavelength Modulation Infrared Absorption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a new measurement technique for in-cylinder gas temperature and residual gas concentration during the compression stroke of an internal combustion (IC) engine. This technique is based on the infrared absorption of water vapor by a wavelength modulated laser. Wavelength modulation spectroscopy with second harmonic detection (WMS-2f) was adopted to enable the short-path measurements over a wide range of temperatures and pressures corresponding to the late compression stroke in a typical automotive engine. The WMS-2f signal is detected through a bandpass filter at a width of 7.5 kHz, enabling crank angle-resolved measurements. The temperature is determined from the ratio of optical absorption for two overtone transitions of water vapor in the intake gas mixture, and the H2O concentration is determined from this inferred temperature and the absorption for one of the transitions. The measurements sample a short-path region (5 mm) of the in-cylinder gases near the spark plug, which has been modified to provide optical access. Crank angle-resolved measurements are performed in a mass-production type engine.
- Akihiko Kakuho - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Kevin R. Sholes - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Yutaka Hashizume - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Shohei Takatani - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Tomonori Urushihara - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Ronald K. Hanson - Stanford University
- Jay B. Jeffries - Stanford University
- Mark G. Allen - Physical Science Inc.
CitationKakuho, A., Sholes, K., Hashizume, Y., Takatani, S. et al., "Simultaneous Measurement of In-Cylinder Temperature and Residual Gas Concentration in the Vicinity of the Spark Plug by Wavelength Modulation Infrared Absorption," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0639, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0639.
- Christensen M., Hultqvist A. and Johansson B., “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3679.
- Dec J. E and Sjöberg M., “A Parametric study of HCCI Combustion - the Source of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effect of GDI Fuel Injection”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0752
- Hiraya K., Hasegawa K., Urushihara T., Iiyama A. and Itoh T., “A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine ∼ A Trial of Operation Region Expansion ∼”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0416
- Sanders S. T., Kim T. and Ghandhi J. B., “Gas Temperature Measurements During Ignition in an HCCI Engine”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0744.
- Kawahara N., Tomita E., Ohnishi K. and Goto K., “In Situ Unburned Gas Temperature Measurement in a Spark Ignition Engine Using Laser Interferometry”, SAE Paper 2005-01-0646.
- Kakuho A., Nagamine M., Amenomori Y., Urushihara T. and Itoh T., “In-cylinder temperature distribution measurement and its application to HCCI combustion”, SAE Paper 2006-01-1202
- Upschulte B. L., Miller M. f. and Allen M. G., “Diode Laser Sensor for Gasdynamic Measurements in a Model Scramjet Combustor”, AIAA Journal vol. 38, No. 7, July 2000
- Fukuzato K., Ikeda Y. and Nakajima T., “High time-resolved Measurement of Temperature using Diode Laser Absorption Spectroscopy”, Proceedings of the 38th National Heat Transfer Symposium, pp. 459-460 (in Japanese).
- Allen M. G. and Kessler W. J., “Simultaneous Water Vapor Concentration and Temperature Measurements using 1.31μm Diode Laser”, AIAA Journal vol.34, 483-488(1996)
- Li H., Rieker G.B., Liu X., Jeffries J.B., and Hanson R.K., “Extension of wavelength modulation spectroscopy to large modulation depth for diode laser absorption measurements in high-pressure gases”, Appl. Opt. 45, (2006) 1-10
- Zhou X., Liu X., Jeffries J.B., and Hanson R.K., “Selection of NIR H2O Absorption Transitions for In-Cylinder Measurement of Temperature During the Compression Stroke of an IC Engine”, Meas. Sci. and Technology 16, 2437-2445 (2005).
- Rothman L S et al, “2005 The HITRAN 2004 molecular spectroscopic database”, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer 96 139-204
- Rieker G.B., Li H., Liu X., Jeffries J.B., Hanson R.K., Allen M.G., Wehe S.D., Mulhall P.A., and Kindle H.S., “A diode laser sensor for rapid, sensitive measurements of gas temperature and water vapor concentration at high temperatures and pressures”, Appl. Opt., to be submitted, 2006.