This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanisms in Reducing Smoke and NOx from BDF Combustion by Ethanol Blending and EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Palm oil has the important advantage of productivity compared to other vegetable oils such as rapeseed oil and soybean oil. However, the cold flow performance of palm oil methyl ester (PME) is poorer than other vegetable oil based biodiesel fuels. Previous research by the authors has shown that ethanol blending into PME improves the cold flow performance and considerably reduces smoke emission. The reduced smoke may be expected to allow an expansion in the EGR limit and lead to reduced NOx. This paper experimentally analyses the influence of EGR on smoke and NOx emissions from the diesel combustion with PME/ethanol blended fuel. The mechanisms in the smoke reduction are also analyzed.
CitationShudo, T., Hiraga, K., and Ogawa, H., "Mechanisms in Reducing Smoke and NOx from BDF Combustion by Ethanol Blending and EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0622, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0622.
- Choi, C.Y. Bower, G.R. Reitz, R.D. Effects of Biodiesel Blended Fuels and Multiple Injections on D.I. Diesel Engines SAE Paper 970218 1997
- Yamane, K. Ueta, A. Shimamoto, Y. Influence of Physical and Chemical Properties of Biodiesel Fuel on Injection, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics in a Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine International Journal of Engine Research 2 4 249 261 2001
- Huan, C. Wilson, D. Improving the Cold Flow Properties of Biodiesel Proc. 91 st AOCS Annual Meeting 2000
- Yamada, J. Tanaka, Y. Manufacturing Process of Bio-diesel Fuel Engine Technology 5 5 45 51 2003
- Shudo, T. Fujibe, A. Kazahaya, M. Aoyagi, Y. Ishii, H. Goto, Y. Noda, A. The Cold Flow Performance and the Combustion Characteristics with Ethanol Blended Biodiesel Fuel SAE Paper No. 2005-01-3707 2005
- Shudo, T. Nabetani, S. Nakajima, Y. Analysis of the degree of constant volume and cooling loss in a spark ignition engine fuelled with hydrogen International Journal of Engine Research 2 1 81 92 2001
- Knothe, G. Dependance of biodiesel fuel properties on the structure of fatty acid alkyl esters Fuel Processing Technology 86 1059 1070 2005
- Saka, S. Perspectives of Biomass Energy and its Substitute for Fossil Fuels Engine Technology 3 3 29 34 2001
- Shudo, T. Nakajima, T. Ogawa, H. Aoyagi, Y. Ishii, H. Goto, Y. Noda, A. Reduction of Smoke and NOx in Biodiesel Combustion by Ethanol Blending and EGR Proc. SAE Japan 7 10 2006