This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated 1D-MultiD Fluid Dynamic Models for the Simulation of I.C.E. Intake and Exhaust Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work describes the development, application and coupling of two different numerical codes, respectively based on a 1D (Gasdyn) and 3D (OpenFOAM) schematization of the geometrical domain. They have been adopted for the prediction of the wave motion inside the intake and the exhaust systems of internal combustion engines. The HLLC Riemann solver has been implemented both in the CFD and the 1D codes to solve the Euler system of equations, in order to operate with the same solver on the different calculation domains. Moreover, the HLLC solver has been applied to treat the boundary conditions at the interface between the two domains, in such a way to allow the propagation of flow disuniformities through the domain interface, without affecting the solution accuracy. The hybrid approach was used for the simulation of two different test cases: a complex 5 into 1 pipe junction of a high performance V10 engine and a Venturi tube plus a Helmholtz resonator of a single cylinder S.I. engine. Different engine operating points have been simulated at full load, covering a revolution speed range typical of these engines. The results have been compared to experimental measurements and to complete 1D simulations of the same geometries, pointing out that the hybrid approach is capable of giving a better prediction of the wave motion when the geometry is characterized by highly three-dimensional shapes.
CitationMontenegro, G., Onorati, A., Piscaglia, F., and D'Errico, G., "Integrated 1D-MultiD Fluid Dynamic Models for the Simulation of I.C.E. Intake and Exhaust Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0495, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0495.
- Jasak H. Luo J. Y. Gosman A. D. et al. Rapid cfd simulation of internal combustion engines SAE Technical paper , 1999-01-1185 1999
- Toro E. F. Riemann solvers and numerical methods for fluid dynamics Springer 1997
- LeVeque R. J. Numerical methods for conservation laws ETH Zurich 1992
- Harten A. Lax P. D. van Leer B. On upstream differencing and godunov-type schemes for hyperbolic conservation laws SIAM Review 25 1 35 61 1983
- Toro E. F Spruce M. Speares W. Restoration of the contact surface in the harten-lax-van leer riemann solver Journal of Shock Waves 4 25 34 1994
- Davis S. F. Simplified second-order godunov-type methods SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 1998
- Batten P. Lambert C. Causon D. Clarke N. On the choice of wave speeds for hllc riemann solvers SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comput. 9 445 473 1988
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. D'Errico G. Montenegro G. The prediction of 1D unsteady flows in the exhaust system of a s.i. engine including chemical reactions in the gas and solid phase SAE Transactions, Journal of Engines , 2002-01-0003 2003
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. D'Errico G. Secondary air injection in the exhaust after-treatment system of s.i. engines: 1D fluid dynamic modeling and experimental investigation SAE Transactions, Journal of Engines , 2003-01-0366 112 3 544 555 2004
- Winterbone D. E. Pearson R. J. Theory of engine manifold design Professional Engineering Publishing London 2000
- OpenFoam user and Programmer's guide OpenCFD Ltd. 2004
- Hirsch C. Numerical Computation of Internal and External Flows Volume 1: Fundamentals of Numerical Discretization John Wiley & Sons 1992
- Ferziger J. H. Perić M. Computational methods for fluid dynamics Springer 1997
- Onorati A. Montenegro G D'Errico G. Prediction of the attenuation characteristics of i.c. engine silencers by 1-d and multi-d simulation models SAE Technical paper , 2006-01-1541 April 3-9 2006
- Onorati A. Cerri T. Ceccarani M. Cacciatore D. Experimental analysis and 1d thermo-fluid dynamic simulation of a high performance lamborghini v10 s.i. engine SAE Technical paper , 2005-24-081 September 11-16 2005
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. Cerri T. Cacciatore D. Ceccarani M. 1d thermo-fluid dynamic simulation of a high performance lamborghini v12 s.i. engine SAE Technical paper , 2005-01-0692 April 3-9 2005