This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Relative Contributions of Intake and Exhaust Tuning on SI Engine Breathing - A Computational Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study examines the contributions and interactions of intake and exhaust tuning on a 4-stroke single-cylinder engine for various engine speeds and valve timings. The parametric study was performed using a 1-D engine simulation model, the combustion sub-model of which was calibrated based on experimental pressure data. Mechanisms by which tuning changes the volumetric efficiency of an engine were studied. Simulation results are compared with established empirical correlations which predict pipe lengths for maximum volumetric efficiency. It was found that intake tuning has a more dominant role in the breathing capability of the engine compared to exhaust tuning and that both are independent from each other. Valve timing was found to have no effect on intake tuning characteristics but to affect exhaust tuning.
CitationSammut, G. and Alkidas, A., "Relative Contributions of Intake and Exhaust Tuning on SI Engine Breathing - A Computational Study," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0492, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0492.
- Winterbone D. Yoshitomi M ‘The Accuracy of Calculating Wave Action in Engine Intake Manifolds,’ SAE paper 900677 1990
- Silvestri, J.J. Morel, T. Costello, M. ‘Study of Intake System Wave Dynamics and Acoustics by Simulation and Experiment,’ SAE paper 940206 1994
- Deshmukh, D. Kumar, R. Garg, M. Nayeem, M. J. Lakshminarasimhan, V. ‘Optimisation of Gas Exchange Process on a Single Cylinder Small 4-Stroke Engine by Intake and Exhaust Tuning: Experimentation and Simulation,’ SAE Paper 2004-32-0007 2004
- Ohata A. Ishida Y. ‘Dynamic Inlet Pressure and Volumetric Efficiency of Four Cycle Four Cylinder Engine,’ SAE paper 820407 1982
- Bush P. Telford c. Boam D. Bingham J. ‘A Design Strategy for Four Cylinder SI Automotive Engine Exhaust Systems,’ SAE paper 2000-01-0913 2000
- Blair G. Mackey D. Ashe M. Chatfield G. ‘Exhaust Tuning on a Four-Stroke Engine; Experimentation and Simulation,’ SETC 2001 01 1797 4218 2001
- Engelman H. ‘Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold,’ ASME paper 73-WA/DGP-2 1973
- Thompson M. Non Mechanical Supercharging of a Four-Stroke Diesel Engine Ohio State University 1968
- Tabaczynski R. ‘Effects of Inlet and Exhaust System Design on Engine Performance,’ SAE Paper 821577 1982
- Blair G. Goulburn J. ‘An Unsteady Flow Analysis of Exhaust Systems of Multicylinder Automobile Engines,’ SAE paper 690469 1969
- Jennings G. Two Stroke Tuners Handbook H.P.Books Tucson Arizona 1973
- Mucklow G. Exhaust-Pipe Effects in a Single Cylinder Four Stroke Engine Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs. 143 109 127 1940