This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of the Hydraulic Circuit of a Commercial Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an experimental study of the correlation between rail-to-injector connection pipe geometry (3 lengths and 3 diameters) and pressure oscillation characteristics (amplitudes, mean pressure drop, frequency, damping of the oscillation) and injected volume, respectively. The injection input parameters are based on a single injection with 5 pressure levels and 4 injection durations. Pressure recordings are available for the injector inlet, an adjacent injector port, and the rail. The study shows that the connection pipe geometry may have a considerable impact on the analyzed variables. Particularly interesting appears the unexpected bond between pipe diameter and oscillation frequency.
CitationBeierer, P., Huhtala, K., and Vilenius, M., "Experimental Study of the Hydraulic Circuit of a Commercial Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0487, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0487.
- van Basshuysen, Richard Schaefer Fred Handbuch Verbrennungsmotoren 2nd Braunschweig, Germany Vieweg & Sohn Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 2002
- Accumulator fuel-injection from Bosch. Innovative perspectives for low-emission, quiet-running diesel engines Stuttgart, Germany Robert Bosch GmbH Diesel Systems
- Pontoppidan, M. Ausiello F. Bella G. Ubertini S. “Study of the impact on the spray shape stability and the combustion process of supply pressure fluctuations in CR-diesel injectors.” SAE Paper 2004-01-0023 2004
- Bianchi, G.M. et al. “Numerical Investigation of Critical Issues in Multiple-Injection Strategy Operated by a New C.R. Fast-Actuation Solenoid injector.” SAE Paper 2005-01-1236 2005
- Lehto, E. Lammila M. Huhtala K. Virvalo T. “Influence of solenoid current format on common rail fuel injection.” Proceedings of the 8th Mechatronics Forum International Conference University of Twente Netherlands 24-26 June 2002 251 258
- Rodriguez-Anton, L. M. Casanova-Kindelan J. Tardajos G. “High pressure physical properties of fluids used in diesel injection systems.” SAE Paper 2000-01-2046 2000
- Beierer, P Huhtala K. Lehto E. Vilenius M “Study of the Impact of System Characteristics on Pressure Oscillations in a Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System.” SAE Paper 2005-01-0910 2005
- Esser, U. Dieselmotorentechnik 98 553 Expert Verlag 1998 71 87
- Wylie, E. Benjamin Fluid Transients in Systems London Prentice-Hall International 1993
- “Accessory for Test benches, Injection Quantity Indicator - EMI21.” Moehwald GmbH
- Marcic, Milan “A new method for measuring fuel-injection rate.” Flow Measurement and Instrumentation 10 1999 159 165