This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Oxidation of NO to Yield NO2 in Emissions Testing Sample Bags
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Atmospheric modelers and development engineers need accurate measures of NO2 emissions from motor vehicles. Due to the oxidative reaction of oxygen with NO, these measurements (typically taken from a bag sample) can be inaccurate if care is not taken to minimize the sample residence time in the bags. This reaction occurs slowly at low NO concentrations, however, at higher NO concentrations the reaction can rapidly speed up (for example, 50 ppm NO will experience a 10% concentration reduction in 6.5 minutes). This report explores the factors contributing to this artifact for emissions test cells. Estimates of the error in NO2 emission rate measurements for several scenarios are presented. Additionally, kinetic expressions of the reaction rate are shown to be fairly accurate for our test conditions, but should not be used in general without verification of the non-existence of competing, hindering or accelerating species within the sample bag.
CitationShah, S., Mauti, A., Richert, J., and Chase, R., "The Oxidation of NO to Yield NO2 in Emissions Testing Sample Bags," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0332, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0332.
- Seinfeld, J. H., Pandis, S. N., Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 2004, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.
- Chock, D. P., Whalen, M. J., Winkler, S. L., Song, Q., Hass, H., Kirchner, U., Vogt, R. The Impact of Diesel NOx Emissions on Ozone Air Quality. Ford Research and Advanced Engineering Technical Reports, SRR-2004-0051.
- Barck, C., Sandstrom, T., Lundahl, G., Hallden, M., Svartengren, M., Strand, V., Rak, S., Bylin, G. Ambient level of NO2 Augments the Inflammatory Response to Inhaled Allergen in Asthmatics. Toxicology, 96, 2002.
- Ayyagari, V. N., Januszkiewicz, A., Nath, J. Pro-Inflammatory Responses of Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells to Acute Nitrogen Dioxide Exposure. Toxicology, 197, 2004.
- Spicer, C. W., Billick, I. H., Yananisawa, Y. Nitrous Acid Interference with Passive NO2 Measurement Methods and the Impact on Indoor NO2 Data. Atmospheric Environment, 11, 2001.
- Allanson, R., Blakeman, P. G., Cooper, B. J., Phillips, P. R., Thoss, J. E., Walker, A. P. The Use of the Continuously Regenerating Trap to Control Particulate Emissions. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2002-01-1271.
- Manufacturers of Emissions Controls Association, Minimizing NO2 Emissions from Catalyst-Based Diesel Particulate Filters, Presentation at IDRAC Meeting, February 2002.
- Chakravarthy, K.., Daw, C. S., Lenox, K. E. Analysis of Storage and Reaction Phases of LNT for Diesel Engine Exhaust Treatment. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2005-01-3882.
- Chakravarthy, K., Daw, C. S., Lenox, K. E. Key Characteristics of the Sorption Process in Lean NOx Traps. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2003-01-3246.
- Saito, S., Shinzaki, R., Suzuki, A., Jyoutaki, H., Takeda, Y. Development of Urea-SCR System for Commercial Vehicle. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2003-01-3248.
- Allanson, R., Blakeman, P. G., Cooper, B. J., Hess, H., Silcock, P. J., Walker, A. P. Optimizing the Low Temperature Performance and Regeneration Efficiency of the Continuously Regenerating Diesel Particulate Filter System. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2002-01-0428.
- Carslaw, D. D., Beevers, S. D. Investigating the Importance of Primary NO2 Emissions in a Street Canyon. Atmospheric Environment, 39, 2004.
- Glasson, W. A., Tursday, C. S., The Atmospheric Thermal Oxidation of Nitric Oxide. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 85, 1963.
- Olberts, J. Termolecular Reaction of Nirtogen Monoxide and Oxygen: A Still Unsolved Problem. International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 17, 1985.
- Stedman, D. H., Niki, H. Kinetics and Mechanism for the Photolysis of Nitrogen Dioxide in Air. The Journal of Physical Chemistry, 77, 1973.
- Atkinson, R., Baulch, D. L., Cox, R., A., Hampson, R. F. Jr.,, Rossi, M., J., Troe, J. Evaluated Kinetic, Photochemical and Heterogenous Data for Atmospheric Chemistry: Supplement V. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 26, 1997.
- Nishimura, M., Hess, D., Kacmarek, R. M., Ritz, R., Hurford, W. E. Nitrogen Dioxide Production During Mechanical Ventilation with Nitric Oxide in Adults. Anesthesiology, 82, 1985.
- Sokol, G. M., Van Meurs, K. P., Wright, L. L., Rivera, O., Thorn W., J. III,, Chu, P., M., Sams, R., L. Nitrogen Dioxide Formation During Inhaled Nitric Oxide Therapy. Clinical Chemistry, 45, 1999.
- California Air Resources Board, Proposed Amendments to the Verification Procedure, Warranty and In-Use Compliance Requirements for In-Use Strategies to Control Emissions from Diesel Engines, 2006.
- Code of Federal Regulations. Exhaust Gas Sampling and Analytical System for Gaseous Emissions from Heavy-Duty Diesel-Fueled Engines and Particulate Emissions from all Engines. 40 CFR 86.1310-2007.