This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Emissions Simulator for Verification of Extremely Low Emission Measurement Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the support of Horiba and Horiba STEC, Toyota Motor Corporation has developed an exhaust emissions simulator to verify the accuracy of extremely low emissions measurement systems. It can reliably verify the accuracy (correlation) of each SULEV emission measurement system to within 5% under actual conditions.
The simulator's method of simulating SULEV gasoline engine cold-start emissions is to inject bottled gases with known concentrations of each emission constituent to the base gas, which is clean exhaust gas from a SULEV vehicle with new fully warmed catalysts. First, the frequencies and dynamic ranges of the SULEV cold-start emissions were analyzed and the method of 2 injecting the bottled gases was considered based on the results of that analysis. A high level of repeatability and accuracy was attained for all injection flow ranges in the SULEV cold-start emission simulation by switching between high-response digital Mass Flow Controllers (MFCs) of different full scales. Next, a clean base exhaust gas generator was examined. The purpose of using clean exhaust gas as base gas is to simulate thermal conditions and H2O and CO2 concentrations, which influence gas density, viscosity and infrared absorption. However, emission changes in exhaust gasses from actual vehicles affect the verification of measurement accuracy. Several emission tests were conducted on SULEV vehicles with new fully warmed catalysts, confirming emission stability and that those exhaust gases satisfied desired levels.
This paper explains not only the development of the SULEV exhaust emission simulator described above, such as its design and evaluation results, but also the results and prospects of its use verifying the precision of low emission measurement systems.
CitationYoda, K., Mori, N., Uchida, K., and Sonoda, Y., "Exhaust Emissions Simulator for Verification of Extremely Low Emission Measurement Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0316, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0316.
- Inoue Kaori Ishihara Masaaki Akashi Kotaro Adachi Masayuki Ishida Kozo “Numerical Analysis of Mass Emission Measurement Systems for Low Emission Vehicles” SAE Paper 1999-01-0150 1999
- Ohtsuki Satoshi Inoue Kaori Yamagishi Yutaka Namiyama Kazuyoshi “Studies on Emission Measurement Techniques for Super-Ultra Low Emission Vehicles” SAE 2002-01-2709 2002
- Sun Edward I. McMahon Wayne N. Peterson Dave Wong Jeffrey “Evaluation of an Enhanced Constant Volume Sampling System and a Bag Mini Diluter for Near Zero Exhaust Emission Testing” SAE 2005-01-0684 2005
- Sawano Masayuki Yoda Kimikazu Uchida Kenichi “A Study of Low-Emission Measurement Techniques” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 1996
- Tayama Akira Kanetoshi Kazuhiko Tsuchida Hirofumi Morita Hiroshi “A Study of a Gasoline-Fueled Near-Zero-Emission Vehicle Using an Improved Emission Measurement System” SAE Paper, 982555 1998
- Guenther Mark Henney Travis Silvis William M. Nakatani Shigeru Wum Dien-Yeh “Improved Bag Mini-diluter Sampling System for Ultra-low Level Vehicle Exhaust Emissions” SAE Paper 2000-01-0792 2000
- Nagy D. B. Loo Jeffrey Tulpa Jim Schroeder Pat Middleton Rick Morgan Craig “Evaluation of the Bag Mini-Diluter and Direct Vehicle Exhaust Volume System for Low Level Emissions Measurement” SAE Paper 2000-01-0793 2000
- Nevius Tim A. Rauker Dario M. Rooney Richard T. “A Study of the Variability of Five Separate Bag Mini-Diluters and Exhaust Flowmeters” SAE Paper 2006-01-1513 2006
- Silvis William M. Harvey R. Neal Dageforde Allen F. “A CFV Type Mini-dilution Sampling System for Vehicle Exhaust Emissions Measurement” SAE Paper 1999-01-0151 1999
- Yoda Kimikazu Uchida Kenichi “A New Proportional Collection System for Extremely Low Emission Measurement in Vehicle Exhaust” SAE Paper 1999-01-1460 1999
- Landry Michael Guenther Mark Isbrecht Kimberly Stevens Gary “Simulation of Low-Level Vehicle Exhaust Emissions for Evaluation of Sampling and Analytical Systems” SAE Paper 2001-01-0211 2001
- Whelan Daniel Lewis Gary Kiyabu Scott Henney Travis Harrison Darius Farrugia Jennifer Gabbert Michael “Improved Low-Emission Vehicle Simulator for Evaluation of Sampling and Analytical Systems” SAE Paper 2002-01-0049 2002
- Usmen Rengin K. Yassine Mahmoud K. Hartrick Michael D. “Vehicle Exhaust Emissions Simulator ∼A Quality Control Tool to Evaluate the Performance of Low Level Emission Sampling and Analytical Systems” SAE Paper 2003-01-0391 2003
- Yassine M. K. Dhatt R. S. Laymac T. D. Ta S. B. “Using a Vehicle Exhaust Emission Simulator (VEES) as a Cross Check Tool for Emission Test Cell Correlation” SAE Paper 2005-01-0687 2005