This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Combustion Chamber Geometry Effects in an HCCI Engine Using High-Speed Cycle-Resolved Chemiluminescence Imaging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this study is to see how geometry generated turbulence affects the Rate of Heat Release (ROHR) in an HCCI engine. HCCI combustion is limited in load due to high peak pressures and too fast combustion. If the speed of combustion can be decreased the load range can be extended. Therefore two different combustion chamber geometries were investigated, one with a disc shape and one with a square bowl in piston. The later one provokes squish-generated gas flow into the bowl causing turbulence. The disc shaped combustion chamber was used as a reference case. Combustion duration and ROHR were studied using heat release analysis. A Scania D12 Diesel engine, converted to port injected HCCI with ethanol was used for the experiments. An engine speed of 1200 rpm was applied throughout the tests. The effect of air/fuel ratio and combustion phasing was also studied. The behavior of the heat release was correlated with high speed chemiluminescence imaging for both combustion chamber geometries. Optical access was enabled from beneath by a quartz piston and a 45 degree mirror. It was found that the square bowl in piston generates higher turbulence levels resulting in half the ROHR and twice as long combustion duration as the disc shaped combustion chamber. By using a resolution of 3 images per CAD, the fast gas movements during the entire HCCI combustion process could be studied inside the bowl.
CitationVressner, A., Hultqvist, A., and Johansson, B., "Study on Combustion Chamber Geometry Effects in an HCCI Engine Using High-Speed Cycle-Resolved Chemiluminescence Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0217, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0217.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, 2007
Number: SP-2100; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2100; Published: 2007-04-16
- Aoyama, T. Hattori, Y. Mizuta, J. Yasuo, S “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE 960081
- Christensen, M. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. “Demonstrating the Multi-Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE 1999-01-3679
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Hultqvist, A. “The Effect of Combustion Chamber Geometry on HCCI Operation”, SAE 2002-01-0425
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “The Effect of In-Cylinder flow and Turbulence on HCCI Operation” SAE 2002-01-2864
- Kong, S.-C. Reitz, R.D. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Modeling the Effects of Geometry Generated Turbulence on HCCI Engine Combustion” SAE 2003-01-1088
- Seyfried, H. Olofsson, J. Sjöholm, J. Richter, M. Aldén M. Vressner, A. Hultqvist, B. Johansson, B. “High-Speed PLIF Imaging for Investigation of Turbulence on Heat Release Rates in HCCI Combustion” SAE world congress Detroit 2007
- Yu, R. X. Bai, X. S Vressner, A. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. Olofsson, J. Seyfried, H. Sjöholm, J. Richter, M. Aldén, M. “Effect of Turbulence on HCCI Combustion” SAE world congress Detroit 2007
- Sankaran, R. Im, H. G. Hawkes, E. R. Chen, J. H. “The Effect of Non-Uniform Temperature Distribution on the Ignition of a Lean Homogeneous Hydrogen-Air Mixture” 30 th Symposium (International) of Combustion 2004
- Sjöberg, M. Dec, J. E. Cernansky, N. P. “Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, Based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments” SAE 2005-01-0113
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Hultqvist, A. “The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI Engine)” SAE 2001-01-1893
- Hultqvist, A. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Franke, A. Richter, M. Aldén M. “A Study of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging”, SAE 1999-01-3680
- Dec, J. E. Hwang, W Sjöberg, M. “An Investigation of Thermal Stratification in HCCI Engines Using Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE 2006-01-1518
- Najm Habib N. Paul Phillip H. Mueller Charles J. Wyckoff Peter S. “On the Adequacy Certain Experimental Observables as Measurements of Flame Burning Rate” Combustion and Flame 113 312 332 1998
- Persson. H. Hildingsson, L. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. “Investigation of Boundary Layer Behavior in HCCI Combustion using Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE 2005-01-3729