This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multidimensional Cycle Analysis on a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (DIMeC) of the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia is developing a new type of small capacity HSDI 2-Stroke Diesel engine, featuring a specifically designed combustion system. The present paper is focused on the analysis of the scavenging process, carried out by means of 3D-CFD simulations, supported by 1D engine cycle calculations.
First, a characterization of the flow through the ports and within the cylinder is performed under conventional operating conditions. Then, a complete 3D cycle simulation, including combustion, is carried out at four actual operating conditions, at full load.
The CFD results provide fundamental information to address the development of the scavenging system, as well as to calibrate a comprehensive 1D engine model.
|Technical Paper||A New Concept for Ultra-Compact Automotive HSDI Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||A New Combustion System for 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||An Efficient and Unified Combustion Model for CFD of SI and CI Engine Operation|
CitationMattarelli, E., Fontanesi, S., Gagliardi, V., and Malaguti, S., "Multidimensional Cycle Analysis on a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0161, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0161.
- Heywood, J.B. Sher, E. “ The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine: its development, operations and design ” Taylor & Francis 1999
- Knoll, R “AVL Two-Stroke Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 981038 1998
- Yamaha Motor 1999
- De Marco, C.A. Mattarelli, E. Paltrinieri, F. Rinaldini, C.A. “A New combustion System for 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 07PFL-386 SAE World Congress & Exhibition April 16-19 2007 Detroit, MI, USA
- Cantore, G. Mattarelli, E. “A New Concept for Ultra-Compact Automotive HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 07PFL-385 SAE World Congress & Exhibition April 16-19 2007 Detroit, MI, USA
- Blair, G.P. “ Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines ” SAE Warrendale, PA 1996
- Huh, K.Y. Gosman, A.D. ‘A phenomenological model of Diesel spray atomisation’ Proc. Int. Conf. on Multiphase Flows (ICMF '91) Tsukuba 24-27 September 1991
- Reitz, R.D. Diwakar, R. ‘Effect of drop breakup on fuel sprays’ SAE Paper 860469 1986
- Reitz, R.D. Diwakar, R. ‘Structure of high-pressure fuel spray’ SAE Paper 870598
- Fontanesi, S. Gagliardi, V. Malaguti, S. Mattarelli, E. ‘CFD parametric analysis of the combustion chamber shape in a small HSDI Diesel engine’ SAE Paper 2005-32-0092 2005
- Balestrazzi, D. Borghi, M. Fontanesi, S. Mattarelli, E. “The Influence of Swirl Control Strategies on the Intake Flow in Four Valve HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2004-01-0112 2004
- Cantore, G. Fontanesi, S Gagliardi, V. Malaguti, S. “Effects of Relative Port Orientation on the In-Cylinder Flow Patterns in a Small Unit Displacement HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2005-32-0093 . SAE 2005 Transactions - Journal of Engines 2005
- Li, Y. Xu, J. Gong, X. Liu, S. Xu, S. “Effects of Combination and Orientation of Intake Ports on Swirl Motion in Four-Valve DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-1823 2000
- Hermann, H. Dürnholtz, M. “Development of a DI Diesel Engine with Four Valves for Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 950808 1995
- Gamma Technologies “GT-Power Users Manual (version 6.1)” September 29 2004 Westmont, IL
- Cerri, T. Mattarelli, E. Onorati, A. “1D Engine Simulation of a Small HSDI Diesel Engine Applying a Predictive Combustion Model” ASME Paper ICES2006-1382. Proceedings of the 2006 Spring Technical Conference ASME-ICE Division 2006