This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics of GTL Diesel Fuel in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The results of an optical investigation into the combustion characteristics of GTL (Gas-To-Liquids) diesel fuel are presented. The investigation was carried out using a high pressure, constant volume combustion chamber with optical access, fitted with a modern diesel injection system. Combustion images were captured under conditions which simulate those present in a diesel engine. A low sulphur diesel fuel meeting the European EN590 specification was used as a reference.
Image capture and subsequent analysis was performed by means of an AVL Visioscope system which used the two-colour method to yield quantitative information regarding flame temperature and soot concentration. Conditions in the combustion chamber are preset by combusting a pre-charge to generate the necessary pressure, temperature, and residual gas fraction. This allowed the effect of varying oxygen concentration at the start of diesel combustion to be investigated.
The results showed distinct differences in the experimentally determined soot concentrations and revealed that GTL has consistently lower levels of soot concentration in the flame than the reference fuel. The difference in flame temperature results between the fuels was small but a correlation of the soot concentration and flame temperature results revealed characteristic differences between the fuels that change systematically with EGR. GTL appeared to show improved relative combustion characteristics with increasing levels of EGR.
CitationVelaers, A., Schaberg, P., and Yates, A., "Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics of GTL Diesel Fuel in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0031, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0031.
- Alleman, T.L. McCormick, R.L. “Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuels - Properties and Exhaust Emissions: a Literature Review” SAE Paper 2003-01-0763 2003
- Schaberg, P.W. Myburgh, I.S. Botha, J.J. Khalek, I.A. “Comparative Emissions Performance of Sasol Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuel in current and Older Technology Heavy-Duty Engines.” SAE Paper 2000-01-1912 2000
- Schaberg, P.W. et al. “Emissions Performance of GTL Diesel Fuel and Blends with Optimized Engine Calibrations.” SAE Paper 2005-01-2187
- Payri, F. et al “Characterisation of the Injection-Combustion Process in a Common Rail D.I. Diesel Engine Running with Sasol Fischer-Tropsch Fuel” SAE Paper 2000-01-1803 2000
- Bakenhus M. Reitz R.D. “Two-Color Combustion Visualization of Single and Split Injections in a Single Cylinder Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine Using an Endoscope-Based Imaging System” SAE Paper 1999-01-1112
- Zhao H. Ladommatos N. Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics SAE International 2001
- AVL VisioScope V1.1 operating manual 2001
- Azetsu A. et al “Effects of Aromatic Components in Fuel on Flame Temperature and Soot Formation in Intermittent Spray Combustion” SAE Paper 2003-01-1913
- Ng H Ciatti S Miers S Biruduganti M Comparing the Performance of SunDiesel™ and Conventional Diesel in an LD Vehicle and Engines Argonne National Laboratory 2005
- Ito et. al. “Effects of Flame Lift-Off and Flame Temperature on Soot Formation in Oxygenated Fuel Sprays” SAE paper 2003-01-0073
- Oren, D.C. Wahiduzzaman, S. Ferguson, C.R. “Diesel Combustion Bomb: Proof of Concept” SAE Paper 841358
- Siebers, D.L. “Ignition Delay Characteristics of Alternative Diesel Fuels: Implications on Cetane Number,” SAE Paper 852102
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporisation on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays” SAE Paper 960034
- Schaberg, P.W. et al “An Overview of the Production, Properties, and Exhaust Emissions Performance of Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Diesel Fuel” 2 nd International Colloquium on Fuels Technische Akademie Esslingen 1999
- Morgan P.M. et al “Some Comparative Chemical, Physical and Compatibility Properties of Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 982488 1998
- Schaberg, P.W. et al “Diesel Exhaust Emissions Using Sasol Slurry Phase Distillate Process Fuels” SAE Paper 972898 1997
- Dec J.E. “Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser Sheet Imaging” SAE Paper 970873
- Hampson G.J Reitz R.D. “Two-Colour Imaging of In-Cylinder Soot Concentration and Temperature in a Heavy Duty DI Diesel Engine with Comparison to Multidimensional Modelling for Single and Split Injections” SAE Paper 980524
- Welberger P. Cartellieri W.P. “Fuel Injection Combustion Phenomena in a High Speed DI Diesel Engine Observed by Means of Endoscopic High Speed Photography” SAE Paper 870097
- Heywood, J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill 1988