This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The effect of Intake Manifold Runners Length on the Volumetric Efficiency by 3-D CFD Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is quite wellknown that a properly designed Intake Manifold is vital for the optimal performance of an IC engine. This paper will present 3-D Simulation of a XU7 Engine Intake Manifold and the results will be discussed. Both steady and unsteady state simulations have been accomplished for this case. Steady state simulation results are compared with flow bench rig data for validation. Boundary condition for unsteady state simulation was obtained from 1-D WAVE code. In the present research the effect of length of runners on the volumetric efficiency has been analyzed by 3-D CFD model at different speeds. Three hypothetical models have been made that all of their runners' length is increased to 110,120 and 130% of initial value. In the model with 20% extended runners, the volumetric efficiency increases at 3500 and 4500 rpm. Finally according to the results of steady and unsteady simulations, some suggestions are recommended to improve the performance of this Intake Manifold.
CitationMaftouni, N., Ebrahimi, R., and Hossein pour, S., "The effect of Intake Manifold Runners Length on the Volumetric Efficiency by 3-D CFD Model," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0118, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0118.
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 1987
- Winterbone, D. E. Pearson, R. J. Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds Professional Engineering Publishing 1999
- Engelman, H. W. “The Tuned Manifold: supercharging without a blower,” ASME paper 53-DGP-4 1953
- Bensler, H. P. “CFD Optimization of Powertrain Components,” SAE paper 96-4022 1996
- Siewert, R. M. Krieger, R. B. Huebler M. S. “Modifying an Intake Manifold to Improve Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in a DI Diesel Engine using Combined CFD and Engine Experiments,” SAE paper 2001-01-3685 2001
- Safari, M. Nasiritosi, A. Ghamari, M. “Intake Manifold Optimization by Using 3-D CFD Analysis,” SAE paper 2003-32-0073 2003
- Lee, S.B. Kim, Y.W. Yang, W.C. “Intake Manifold Wave Dynamic Analysis and Its Effects on Volumetric Efficiency,” ASME paper IMECE2004-60312 California, Anaheim 2004
- Anand, T. N. C. Ravikrishna, R. V. “Multi-Dimensional, Transient Fluid Flow Simulation in the Intake Manifold of a Four-Stroke Single-Cylinder Engine,” ASME paper ICEF2005-1273 Ottawa 2005