This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Optimization Techniques for the Design of an Internal Combustion Engine Airbox
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The geometrical design of the airbox for an internal combustion engine has a significant effect on the pressure loss in the entire inlet tract. Due to the location of the airbox, its size and shape is usually limited as a result of the proximity to other under-bonnet features. The shape is also limited by manufacturing, assembly and NVH considerations. The complexity of the unsteady flow through the airbox and the constraints placed upon it by the available volume in the under-bonnet area make this a challenging design task. This paper reviews the current thinking on methods used to optimize Computational Fluids Dynamics (CFD) problems and how this would apply to the optimization of an airbox for an internal combustion engine. The paper then goes on to detail the findings of the initial validation work on the CFD method for predicting the pressure loss through an airbox. An optimization case study is then presented based on one of the models used for the validation.
|Technical Paper||Game Theory Approach to Engine Performance Optimization|
|Technical Paper||CFD-Aided Design of an Airbox for Race Cars|
|Technical Paper||Application of Optimization Techniques in the Design of Engine Components|
CitationBranney, C., Cunningham, G., Spence, S., and McCullough, G., "Development of Optimization Techniques for the Design of an Internal Combustion Engine Airbox," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0114, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0114.
- Taylor W Leylek H Sommer RG Jain SK “IC Engine Intake Region Design Modifications for Loss Reduction Based on CFD Methods” SAE International Congress and Exposition 1997
- De Vita A Di Angelo L Andreassi L Romagnuolo S. “CFD-Aided Design of an Airbox for Race Cars” Proceedings of the 2002 SAE International Body Engineering Conference and Automotive & Transportation Technology Conference 2002
- Maynes, B. D. J. Kee RJ Kenny RG Fleck R Mackey DO Foley L. “Prediction of Formula 1 Engine and Airbox Performance using Coupled Virtual 4-Stroke and CFD Simulations” Proceedings of the 2002 SAE Motorsports Engineering Conference and Exhibition 2002
- Taylor W Leylek JH Tran LT Shinogle RD Jain SK “Advanced Computational Methods for Predicting Flow Losses in Intake Regions of Diesel Engines” SAE International Congress and Exposition 1997
- Eisinger R Rubrecht A. “Automatic Shape Optimization of Hydro Turbine Components Based on CFD” Proceedings of CFD for Turbomachinery Applications 2001
- Affes H Trigui N Smith D Griaznov V. “Shape Optimization of IC Engines Ports and Chambers” SAE International Congress and Exposition 1998
- Marjavaara BD Lundstrom TS “Automatic Shape Optimization of a Hydropower Draft Tube” Proceedings of ASME JSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference 2003
- Muyl F Dumas L Herbert V. “Hybrid Method for Aerodynamic Shape Optimization in Automotive Industry” Computers and Fluids 2004
- Vicini, A. Quagliarella, D. “Airfoil and Wing Design Through Hybrid Optimization Strategies” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics 1998
- Duvigneau R Visonneau M. “Hybrid Genetic Algorithms and Artificial Neural Networks for Complex Design Optimization in CFD” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2004
- Harinck J Alsalihi Z Van Buijtenen, J. P. Van den Braembussche, R. A. “Optimization of a 3D Radial Turbine By Means of an Improved Genetic Algorithm” Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Turbomachinery 2005
- Malkawi AM Srinivasan RS Yi YK Choudhary R. “Decision Support and Design Evolution: Integrating Genetic Algorithms, CFD and Visualization” Automation in Construction 2005
- Vatandas E Ozkol I. “On Effective Combination of Heuristic Algorithms and Dynamic Meshes in CFD Applications” ASME Pressure Vessels Piping Division - Computational Technologies for Fluid/Thermal/Structural/Chemical Systems with Industrial Applications 2004