This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Long-Life Oil for Gas Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We closely studied the action mechanism and deterioration mechanism of ZDTP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate), used as an essential additive in engine oils for over half a century, and determined that the sulfur in ZDTP was hampering efforts to improve oil life. With this in mind, we developed a completely new engine oil blended with ZP (zinc dialkylphosphate), in which oxygen replaces the sulfur in ZDTP, and conducted engine tests. The tests confirmed that the newly developed oil provides long service life that cannot be attained with conventional oil formulated with ZDTP.
CitationYagishita, K., Tominaga, E., and Okawa, T., "Development of Long-Life Oil for Gas Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0013, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0013.
- Yagishita K. Igarashi J. Long-Drain/Fuel-Efficient Engine Oils Based on ZDTP Substitute Additive Technology SAE Paper No. 2003-01-2003
- Yagishita K. Igarashi J. 31P NMR and Mass Spectrometric Studies of the Reaction of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphates with Cumene Hydroperoxide. 1. Kinetics and Mechanisms of the Initial Homolytic Reaction Sekiyu Gakkaishi 38 1995 374 383
- Yagishita K. Igarashi J. 31P NMR Studies of the Reaction of Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphates with Cumene Hydroperoxide. 2. Kinetics and Mechanisms of Last Part of ion Reaction Process The 25th Petroleum Petrochemistry Panel Discussion Chubu Meeting 1995
- Yagishia K. koizumi T. Igarashi J. Degradation Behavior of ZDTP in the Presence of Water Japanese Tribology Conference 2000 spring in Tokyo 91 93
- Dickert, J.J. Rowe, C.N J.Org.Chem. 32 3 647 1967
- Yagishita K. Igarashi J. Elucidation of the Peroxide Decompostion Mechanism of Organic Molybdenum Compounds and Their Practical Performance in Engine Oils Proc of Japan Intermational Tribology Conference in Kobe 421 426 2005
- Yagishita K. kagaya M. Igarashi J. Development of engine oils for environment The 35th Petroleum Petrochemistry Panel Discussion Morioka Meeting 2005