This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surround Sensors - Enablers for Predictive Safety Systems
Published October 16, 2006 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Convergence 2006
Driver support systems without active vehicle interaction are convenience functions and can be viewed as a pre-stage to vehicle guidance and collision avoidance. By information to or an early warning of the driver a quicker reaction of the driver can be achieved.
Today, Long Range Radar (LRR) and Lidar are used for the ACC function. With a range of up to 200m and superior signal quality, LRR is the key technology and main enabler for future predictive safety systems.
Video technology has been introduced in a German Luxury class vehicle in 2005 for a system for night vision improvement. Also passive infrared sensing based thermal radiation sensors are used in other systems.
Mid and short range applications are covered by various technologies based on Radar and optical sensing as well as on emerging new technologies.
The highest demand regarding performance and reliability is put on active safety systems. By further improving sensor performance and sensor data fusion collision avoidance and collision mitigation functions will become realistic.
|Technical Paper||Predictive Safety Systems: Convenience - Collision Mitigation - Collision Avoidance|
|Technical Paper||Traffic Situation Assessment and Intervention Strategy of a Collision Avoidance System based on Galileo Satellite Positioning|
CitationUhler, W. and Knoll, P., "Surround Sensors - Enablers for Predictive Safety Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2006-21-0032, 2006.
- Winner, H. Witte, S. Uhler, W. Lichtenberg, B. Adaptive Cruise Control - System Aspects and Development Trends SAE Paper 961010 1996
- Schwarte, R. et al. A new electro-optical Mixing and correlating Sensor: Facilities and applications of this Photonic Mixer Device (PMD) SPIE-EOS: Sensors, sensor systems, and sensor data processing 3100 Munich, Germany 1997
- Uhler, W. Weilkes, M. 2000
- Knoll, P.M. A NIR Based System for Night Vision Improvement Convergence 2002, Paper 2002-21-0029 2002
- Knoll, P.M. Sailer, U. “How Driver Assistance Systems Pave the Way to the Safety Vehicle ATA EL 2004 Conference Parma 2004
- Beutnagel-Buchner, U. Knoll, P.M. Schaefer, B.J. Guettler, H. Bunse, M Kallenbach, R Predictive Safety Systems - Steps Towards Collision Mitigation SAE Paper 2004-01-1111 2004 (2) Knoll, P.M. Sailer, U. “How Driver Assistance Systems Pave the Way to the Safety Vehicle ATA EL 2004 Conference Parma 2004
- Knoll, P.M. Schaefer, B.-J. Predictive Safety Systems - Steps from Convenience towards Collision Avoidance and Collision Mitigation ITS Congress Hannover, Germany 2005
- Lee, W. C. Uhler, W. Bertram, T. Driver centred design of an advanced parking assistance 5th European Congress and Exhibition on Intelligent Transport Systems and Services Hannover 2005