This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Analysis in Research and Development of Racing Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 05, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Wind tunnel test has been playing a major role in the research and development (R&D) for a racing car. With the aid of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation the development cycle and overall cost are greatly reduced while new and creative ideas can be easily tested on virtual platform with accuracy. In this paper a general overview of the racing vehicle R&D process is provided and a CFD simulation and analysis for a 50% scaled car model is presented in sufficient detail, with an emphasis on addressing its aerodynamic aspects. Good agreements are obtained with a ±5% error between the simulation results and wind tunnel measurements.
CitationUeno, D., Hu, G., Komada, I., Otaki, K. et al., "CFD Analysis in Research and Development of Racing Car," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3646, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3646.
- DOME CARS LTD, “DOME Tunnel”, KENJI TSURUTA Publishing, 2006, Tokyo, Japan
- ShinriMUTO, “Automotive Aerodynamics”, CAR STYLING, July, 2001, Tokyo, Japan
- Matsushima, etc. “An Automatic Mesh Generator Based CFD System to be used as a Design Tool”, SAE technical paper 2001-01-0037
- Taniguchi, etc. “Validation of CFD Commercial Codes for Vehicle Design and Development”, SAE technical paper 2002-01-1297
- Watanabe, etc. “The CFD Application for Efficient Designing in the Automotive Engineering”, SAE technical paper 2003-01-12335
- Fan Qinyin, etc. “Coupled Analysis of Thermal Flow and Thermal Stress of an Engine Exhaust Manifold”, SAE technical paper 2004-01-1345
- Fan Qinyin, etc.“A Research on Coupled Transient Analysis of Thermal Flow and Thermal Stress”, SAE technical paper 2005-01-0516
- Fan Qinyin“CFD Simulation of Pressure Drop in Line Pipe”, SAE technical paper 2006-01-1443
- Kobayashi, etc. “Automobiles and Aerodynamics: Penetrations of CFD Technology in the Vehicle Development Process and Present State of Racing Car Aerodynamics”, NAGARE Journal of Japan Society of Fluid Mechanics, 21, p.336-345(2002)
- Oku, etc. “Racing Car Aerodynamics Development”, Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol.57, No.4, p.36-41(2003)
- Sakamoto, “Examples of CFD Analysis in Racing Car Development”, Software Cradle User Conference 2005 in Japan, p1-1, 2005, Japan