This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation Techniques to Assess Exhaust Aftertreatment Support Mat Robustness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to scientifically approach the design of mounting systems for substrates in emissions control systems, it is essential to characterize the behavior of the involved materials, particularly the support mat. Manufacturing processes and various in-field conditions impact the long term performance of the support mat, and life-long emissions performance is critically dependent on its ability to retain the substrate throughout the intended life. Therefore, to ensure product robustness, the behavior during operation of all available support mats must be appropriately characterized to determine the technical layout in specific applications. This paper addresses three common characterization tests, developed internally and externally. Additionally, equipment improvements to minimize artifacts in test results as well as the development of a new mat test for manufacturing methods are addressed.
CitationLatham, R., Rückel, P., Olivier, K., Yetkin, A. et al., "Evaluation Techniques to Assess Exhaust Aftertreatment Support Mat Robustness," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3472, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3472.
- Fuehne J. Taylor B. Kim J. Lee J.K. Characterization of Catalytic Converter Mat for Predictive Analysis SAE# 2000-01-0218
- Kim J.S. Walter M.E. Lee J.K. Modeling mechanical response of intumescent mat material at room temperature International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 44 2002 2285 2315
- Kim H Kim JS Walter ME Lee JK The thero-mechanical stress-strain response of intumescent mat materials through experiments in strain decomposition Journal of Strain Analysis 37 2002 187 199
- Kim HJ Experimental investigation of thermo-mechanical response of intumescent mat material Ohio State University 2000
- Unruh JF Fox DJ Locker RJ Sawyer CB Catalytic Converter Mat Material Durability Measurements Under Controlled Thermal and Vibration Environments SAE# 2000-01-0221
- 3M Support Mat Red Book