This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Autoignition Initiation and Development of n-heptane HCCI Combustion Assisted by Inlet Air Heating, Internal EGR or Spark Discharge: An Optical Investigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An optically accessed, single-cylinder engine capable of operating at both spark ignition and Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion was used to investigate the difference in the initiation and development of HCCI combustion due to charge stratification, internal Exhaust Gas Recirculation (iEGR) or spark discharge. Natural-light images were acquired to visualise the differences in chemiluminescent structure (i.e. reaction structures) at the early and late stages of formation during HCCI combustion in an attempt to find better ways of controlling HCCI combustion at low and high loads.
Regardless of charge stratification, the cycle-to-cycle deviation of autoignition from temporal and spatial repeatability was comparatively small. Flame initiation appeared initially at single or spatially adjacent sites and we did not observe the growth of any new, (i.e. “secondary” in time) reacting ‘islands’ separate from the original sites. However, with increasing rates of iEGR, the autoignition process was a more spatially random phenomenon, with the development of new, in time, reacting ‘islands’ being more evident. With spark-assisted HCCI combustion, it was evident that HCCI combustion was advanced by more than 35 crank angle degrees due to the spark discharge but that the combustion process did not appear to propagate in the form of a flame front. Flame initiation would appear at a single spatial location - not always in the vicinity of the spark plug - and we did observe the growth of new, in time, reacting ‘islands’, separate from the original sites.
- Y. Urata - Honda R & D Co., Ltd.
- P. G. Aleiferis - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London
- A. G. Charalambides - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London
- Y. Hardalupas - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London
- A. M. K. P. Taylor - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London
CitationAleiferis, P., Charalambides, A., Hardalupas, Y., Taylor, A. et al., "Autoignition Initiation and Development of n-heptane HCCI Combustion Assisted by Inlet Air Heating, Internal EGR or Spark Discharge: An Optical Investigation," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3273, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3273.
- Koopmans L. Denbratt, I. 2001 “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline” SAE Paper 2001-01-3610
- Law, D. Allen, J. Chen, R. 2002 “On the Mechanism of Controlled Auto Ignition” SAE Paper 2002-01-0421
- Sjöberg, M. Edling, L.-O. Eliassen, T. Magnusson, L. Angström, H.-E. 2002 “GDI-HCCI: Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel stratification, Combustion and Emissions Formation” SAE Paper 2002-01-0106
- Urushihara, T. Hiraya, K. Kakuhou, A. Itoh, T. 2003 “Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation” SAE Paper 2003-01-0749
- Aroonsrisopon, T. Werner, P. Waldman, J. O. Sohm, V. Foster, D.E. Morikawa, T. Iida, M. 2004 “Expanding the HCCI Operation with the Charge Stratification” SAE Paper 2004-01-1756
- Dec J. E. 2002 “A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and IEGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines” SAE Paper 2002-01-1309
- Kalian, N. Standing, R. Zhao, H. 2005 “Effects of Ignition Timing on CAI Combustion in a Multi-Cylinder DI Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-3720
- Taylor, C. F. Taylor, E. S. Livengood, J. C. Russell, W. A. Leary, W. A. 1950 “Ignition of Fuels by Rapid Compression” SAE Quarterly Transactions 4 2 232 274
- Richter, M. Engstrom, A. Franke Alden, M. Hultqvist, A. Johansson 2000 The influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process” SAE Paper 2000-01-2868
- Zhao, H. Williams, J. Ladommatos, N. 2001 “Understanding the Effects of Recycled Burnt Gases on the controlled Autoignition (CAI) Combustion in Four-Stroke Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 2001-01-3607
- Kumano, K. Iida, N. 2004 “Analysis of the Effect of Charge Inhomogeneity on HCCI Combustion by Chemiluminescence Measurement” SAE Paper 2004-01-1902
- Hiraya, K. Hasegawa, K. Urushihara, T. Iiyama, A. Itoh, T. 2002 “A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine - A Trial of Operation Region Expansion” SAE Paper 2002-01-416
- Wilson, T. Xu, H. M. Richardson, S. Yap, M. D. Wyszynski, M. 2005 “An Experimental Study of Flame Initiation and Development in an Optical HCCI Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-2129
- Charalambides, A.G. 2006 “Charge Stratified HCCI Engine” University of London UK
- Aleiferis, P. G. Taylor, A. M. K. P. Whitelaw, J. H. Ishii, K. Urata, Y. 2000 “Cyclic Variations of Initial Flame Kernel Growth in a Honda VTEC-E Lean Burn Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01-1207
- Bowditch, F. W. 1960 Paper No. 150B, SAE Transactions 69 17
- Horie K. Nishizawa, K. Ogawa, T. Akazaki, S. Miura, K. 1992 “The development of a High Performance four-Valve Lean-Burn Engine” SAE Paper 920455
- Hardalupas, Y. Taylor, A. M. K. P. Whitelaw, J. H. Ishii, K. Miyano, H. Urata, Y. 1995 “Influence of Injection Timing on In-Cylinder Fuel Distribution in a Honda VTEC-E Engine” SAE Paper 950507
- Carabateas, N. E. 1997 “Two-Phase Flow and Combustion in SI Engines” PhD Thesis University of London UK
- Aleiferis, P. G. 2000 “Initial flame development and cyclic variations in a lean-burn spark-ignition engine” PhD Thesis University of London UK
- Heywood, J. B. 1988 “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw-Hill
- Hood, S. 1990 “The V-Grooved Electrode Spark Plug” SAE Paper 901535
- Yamada, T. Hayakawa, N. Kami, Y. Kawai, T. 1992 “Universal Air-Fuel Ratio Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor and Future Applications” SAE Paper 920234
- Nakamura, A. Ishii K. Sasaki, T. 1989 “Application of Image Converter Camera to Measure Flame Propagation in SI Engine” SAE Paper 890322
- Aleiferis, P.G. Charalambides, A.G. Hardalupas, Y. Taylor, A.M.K.P. Urata, Y. 2005 “Modelling and Experiments of HCCI Engine Combustion with Charge Stratification and Internal IEGR” SAE Paper 2005-01-3725