This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of a 4-Cylinder Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using a Direct Temporal Coupling Between a 1D Simulation Software and a 3D Combustion Code
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a novel methodology to investigate engine behaviour using an original numerical approach based on the direct temporal coupling between IFP-ENGINE, a 1D engine simulation tool used for the simulation of the gas exchange system, and IFP-C3D, a 3D CFD code used to simulate combustion and pollutant emissions. The coupling method is used to compute steady conditions of the whole engine dynamic system but could also be applied for transient operating conditions. To demonstrate the capabilities of the model a 4-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine is modelled at two different operating points and the comparison with experimental measurements is shown.
CitationBohbot, J., Chryssakis, C., and Miche, M., "Simulation of a 4-Cylinder Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Using a Direct Temporal Coupling Between a 1D Simulation Software and a 3D Combustion Code," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3263, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3263.
- Bohbot J. Lafossas, F.A. Albrecht, A. Miche, M. Chraibi, M. Menegazzi, P. “A new coupling approach using a 1D system simulation software and a 3D combustion code applied to transient engine operation” SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-3002
- Sinclair, R. Strauss, T. Schindler, P. “Code Coupling, a New Approach to Enhance CFD Analysis of Engines” SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-0660
- Borghi, M. Mattarelli, E. Montorsi, L. “Integration of 3D-CFD and Engine Cycle Simulations: Application to an Intake Plenum” SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-2512
- Riegler, U.G. Bargende, M. “Direct Coupled 1D/3D-CFD-Computation (GT-Power/Star-CD) pf the Flow in the Switch-Over Intake System of an 8-Cylinder SI Engine with External Exhaust Gas Recirculation” SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-0901
- Wehr, D. Huurdeman, B. Spennemann, A. “EGR - A Challenge for Modern Plastic Intake Manifolds” SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-0902
- Menegazzi, P. Aubret, P. Vernhes, P.-L. “Conventional and Hybrid Vehicle Emission, Fuel Economy and Performance Analysis System Simulation” FISITA 2004 23-27 May Barcelona, Spain
- Vibe, I.I. “Semi-empirical expression for combustion rate in engines” Proceedings of Conference on piston engines USSR Academy of sciences Moscow 186 191 1956
- Lafossas F-A. Colin O. Le Berr F. Menegazzi P. “Application of a new 1D combustion model to gasoline transient engine operation” SAE 2005 Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Exhibition and Congress May 11-13 2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil SAE 2005-01-2107
- Colin, O. Benkenida, A. “The 3-Zones Extended Coherent Flame Model (ECFM3Z) for Computing Premixed Diffusion Combustion” Oil & Gas Science and Technology 59 6 593 609 2004
- Woschni G. “Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE paper 670931 , SAE Trans. 76 1967
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill 1988
- Zolver, M. Benkenida, A. Bohbot J. Klahr, D. Réveillé, B. “CFD Tools at IFP for HCCI Engine Simulations” 14th International Multidimensional Engine Modelling User's Group Meeting at the SAE 2004 March 2004 Detroit, USA
- Zolver, M. Klahr, D. Bohbot, J. Laget, O. Torres, A. “Reactive CFD in Engines with a New Unstructured Parallel Solver” Oil & Gas Science and Technology 58 1 33 46 2003
- Bohbot, J. Klahr, D. Zolver, M. Torres, A. “A Three Dimensional Modelling of Combustion in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine using a New Unstructured Parallel Solver” The 2003 International Conference on Computational Science and its Applications, ICCSA May 2003 Montreal, Canada 483 492
- Zolver, M. Bohbot, J. Klahr, D. Torres, A. “An Unstructured Parallel Solver for Multi-Phase and Reactive Flows in Internal Combustion Engines” Parallel CFD 2003 May 2003 Moscow
- Colin, O. Benkenida, A. Angelberger, C. “A 3D Modelling of Mixing, Ignition and Combustion Phenomena in Highly Stratified Gasoline Engines” Oil & Gas Science and Technology 58 47 62 2003
- Han, Z. Reitz, R.D. “Multidimensional Modelling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG k-ε Models” Combust. Sci. Technol. 106 206 280 1995