This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinetic Modeling of Knock Properties in Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents a general model for the prediction of octane numbers and knock propensity of different fuels in SI engines. A detailed kinetic scheme of hydrocarbon oxidation is coupled with a two zone, 1-D thermo-fluid dynamic simulation code (GASDYN) . The validation of the kinetic scheme is discussed on the basis of recent experimental measurements. CFR engine simulations for RON and MON evaluation are presented first to demonstrate the capabilities of the coupled model. The model is then used to compare the knock propensity of a gasoline “surrogate” (a pure hydrocarbon mixture) and PRFs in a current commercial engine, resulting in a simulation of “real world” octane number determination, such as Bench Octane Number (BON).
The simulation results agree qualitatively with typical experimental trends. The overall model is a flexible tool for evaluating knock propensity of different gasolines in different automotive engines and, more specifically, the role of fuel components in formulating new high performance gasolines.
- F. Giavazzi - Enitecnologie San Donato (Milano), Italy
- P. Scorletti - Enitecnologie San Donato (Milano), Italy
- D. Terna - Enitecnologie San Donato (Milano), Italy
- M. Mehl - Dipartimento di Chimica; Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- T. Faravelli - Dipartimento di Chimica; Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- E. Ranzi - Dipartimento di Chimica; Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- T. Lucchini - Dipartimento di Energetica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- A. Onorati - Dipartimento di Energetica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
CitationMehl, M., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Lucchini, T. et al., "Kinetic Modeling of Knock Properties in Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3239, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3239.
- Mehl M. Lucchini T. D'Errico G. Onorati A. Giavazzi F. Scorletti P. Terna D. Faravelli T. Ranzi E. ‘Experimental and kinetic modeling study of octane number and sensitivity of hydrocarbon mixtures in CFR engines’ SAE paper n. 2005-24-077 2005
- Ranzi E. Gaffuri P. Faravelli T. Dagaut P. ‘A Wide Range Modeling Study of n-Heptane Oxidation’ Combustion and Flame 103 91 106 1995
- Ranzi E. Faravelli T. Gaffuri P. Sogaro A. D'Anna A. Ciajolo A. ‘A Wide-Range Modeling Study of Iso-Octane Oxidation’ Combustion and Flame 108 24 42 1997
- Ranzi, E. ‘A wide range kinetic modeling study of oxidation and combustion of transportation fuels and surrogate mixtures’ Energy & Fuels 20 1024 1032 2006
- Vanhove G. Petit G. Minetti R. ‘Experimental study of the kinetic interactions in the low-temperature autoignition of hydrocarbon binary mixtures and a surrogate fuel’ Combustion and Flame 145 521 532 2006
- Minetti R. Carlier M. Ribacour M. Therssen E. Sochet L.R. ‘Comparison Of Oxidation And Autoignition Of The Two Primary Reference Fuels By Rapid Compression’ Proceedings Of The Combustion Institute, 26 th International Symposium
- Fieweger, K. Blumenthal, R. Adomeit, G. ‘Self-Ignition Of S.I. Engine Model Fuels: A Shock Tube Investigation At High Pressure’ Combustion And Flame 109 4 599 619 1997
- Davidson D. F. Oehlschlaeger M. A. Herbon J. T. Hanson R. K. ‘Shock Tube Measurements of Iso-Octane Ignition Times and OH Concentration Time Histories’ Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 29 1295 1301 2002
- Gauthier, B. M. Davidson, D. F. Hanson R. K. ‘Shock tube determination of ignition delay times in full-blend and surrogate fuel mixtures’ Combust. Flame 139 300 311 2004
- Onorati A. D'Errico G. Ferrari G. ‘1D Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Unsteady Reacting Flows in the Exhaust System with Catalytic Converter for S.I. Engines’ SAE paper n. 2000-01-0210 SAE Transactions, Journal of Fuel and Lubricants 2001
- D'Errico G. Cerri T. Lucchini T. ‘Development and Application of S.I. Combustion Models for Emissions Prediction’ SAE Paper 2006-01-1108 2006
- D'Errico G. Ferrari G. Onorati A. Cerri T. ‘Modeling the Pollutant Emissions from a S.I. Engine’ SAE paper n. 2002-01-0006 SAE Transactions
- Halstead M. P. Kirsch L. J. Quinn C. P. 1977 ‘The Autoignition of Hydrocarbon Fuels at High Temperatures and Pressure - Fitting of a Mathematical Model’ Combustion and Flame 30 45 60
- Ferrari G. Onorati A. D'Errico G. Cerri T. Montenegro G. An Integrated Simulation Model for the Prediction of S.I. Engine Cylinder Emissions and Exhaust After-Treatment System Performance Proc. ICE 01 SAE. Conf. Capri (Italy) 2001
- Cerri T. D'Errico G. Lucchini T. 59th ATI National Congress Genova (Italy) 2004
- Arrigoni V. Cornetti G.M. Spallanzani G. Calvi F. Tontodonati A. ‘High Speed Knock in S.I. Engines’ SAE Paper n. 741056
- Kalghatgi G.T. ‘Fuel Anti-Knock Quality : Part I and II’ SAE Paper n. 2001-01-3584 and 2001-01-3585