This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Heat Transfer Effects of Nanotube Surfaces Treatments and a Means for Growing the Nanotube Coated Surfaces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
A method of augmenting natural convection, low-Reynolds-number single-phase forced convection and boiling heat transfer by using nanotube coated heat transfer surfaces is described, as well as a unique method of growing these nanotube surfaces from the heat transfer metal alloy, thereby achieving excellent adhesion. This paper discuses side-by-side experiments where nanotube coated and uncoated surfaces are compared. Data on the positive effects of nanotube coating the axial grooves of copper-water heat pipes is also included. Applications for this technology include improved natural convection heat sinks, enhanced boiling surfaces and improved heat pipes. The nanotube coating is also demonstrated to be a low-cost coating and has been successfully grown on several alloys.
|Aerospace Standard||Heat Up Time|
|Technical Paper||Cosmetic Corrosion of Welded Hot Dip Galvanized Steel Panels|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Titanium Alloy Direct Deposited Products 6Al - 4V Annealed|
CitationScaringe, R., Cole, G., Gottschlich, J., and Cornwell, J., "The Heat Transfer Effects of Nanotube Surfaces Treatments and a Means for Growing the Nanotube Coated Surfaces," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3067, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3067.
- Scaringe, R. P. “Demonstration of a High Thermal Conductivity Air Cooled Heat Sink Using Carbon Nanotube Composite,” Final Report NSWC February 2004
- Scaringe, R. P. “Demonstration of a High Thermal Conductivity Cold Plate Material Using Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Final Report Carderock Division NSWC March 2004
- Scaringe, R. P. ”A New Wick Structure to Significantly Improve Heat Pipe Performance,” Bimonthly Technical Progress Report #2 NASA/JSC May 2006
- Stephan, K. Abdelsalam, M. ”Heat Transfer Correlations for Natural Convection Boiling,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 23 73 87 1980
- Carpenter, Yan Po ”Theoretical Analysis of Heat Transfer in Natural Convection from Parallel Vertical Plates in Air,” Proc. IME 128 439 1934 Nov-Dec.
- McAdams, W. H. Heat Transmission McGraw-Hill Third 1954
- Kreith, F. Principles of Heat Transfer Intext Press Third 1973
- Schmidt, E. Beckman, W. Tech. Mech. U. Thermodynam 1 341 391
- Eckert, E. R. G Soehnghen, E. USAF Tech. Report. 5747 WPAFB Dayton, OH 1939
- Users Manual for the Groove Analysis Program (GAP) NASA/GSFC February 1 1994
- Bodoia, J. R. Osterle, J. F. “The Development of Free Convection Between Heated Vertical Plates,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer Series C 84 1 February 1962