This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Objective Optimization of Spacecraft Electrical Power Subsystem Design/Sizing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 07, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
This paper presents application of multi-objective optimization to the design of spacecraft power subsystem. The selection of optimum design can be achieved by having a comparative trade study among different alternatives available.
The paper provides a methodology to optimize the SEPS (Spacecraft Electrical Power Subsystem) design process taking into account both the technology trades and initial sizing in a constrained environment. The primary requirements for the design which depend on the mission choice like, average power, mission life, temperature and radiation environment, both for low earth orbit and geosynchronous earth orbit are considered here. The paper briefly describes comparison of different technologies available within the solar cells, solar array and batteries. Then it presents spacecraft power system sizing, which is derived by the mission requirements and design constraints imposed by technology available. Finally genetic algorithms are applied on this design process to get best possible choice for the design.
CitationAsif, S. and Li, Y., "Multi-Objective Optimization of Spacecraft Electrical Power Subsystem Design/Sizing," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3059, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3059.
- Mosher Todd “Conceptual Spacecraft Design Using A Genetic Algorithm Trade Selection Process” Journal of Aircraft 31 1 Jan-Feb 1999
- Yeniay Ozgur “ Penalty Function Method for Constrained Optimization With Genetic Algorithm” Mathmatical and Computational Applications, 200 10 1 45 56
- Kerslake Thomas W. “Effect of Voltage Level on Power System Design for Solar Electric Propulsion Missions” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering August 2004 126 3 936 944
- Reddy M. Raja “Space Solar Cells- Tradeoff Analysis” Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 77 2003 175 208
- Kerslake T.W. Haraburda F.M. Riehl J.P. “Solar Power System Options for the Radiation and Technology Demonstration Spacecraft” Energy Conversion Engineering Conference and Exhibit, 2000. (IECEC) 35 th Intersociety 1 47 57
- Moser R. L. “Electrical power Subsystem Initial Sizing” IEEE AES systems Magazine, December 1990 29 34
- Asif Samina Li Yun “Application of Meta-Heuristics to Spacecraft Power Subsystem Design Trades”, (In Press)
- Ralph G. “High efficiency solar cell arrays system trade-offs,” 1st World Conf. 1994 1998