This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Real-Time Model for the Simulation of Transient Behaviour of Automotive Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: The Sustainable Mobility Challenge at the National Congress of the Italian Thermotechnical Association (ATI)
In automotive applications problems related to control and diagnostics play an important role in the improvement of engine performance and in the reduction of fuel consumption and pollutant emissions. In this field theoretical models proved to be very useful, with applications that range from the definition of optimised management systems, to hardware-in-the-loop testing (HIL) and to model-based control strategies. However, control-oriented applications has to cope with the increasing complexity of actual automotive engines.
In order to define “real-time” theoretical models for these applications, an original library has been developed by the authors for the simulation of complex systems [9,10,11], as intake and exhaust systems of automotive Diesel engines. “Quasi-Steady Flow” models and “Filling-and-Emptying” techniques were used for engine components and sub-systems. The library was then used to build up a theoretical Mean Value Model (MVM) of a small automotive Diesel engine with variable-geometry turbocharger (VGT), EGR and throttle valve.
After a specific calibration on a production Diesel, the model was used for the simulation of engine behaviour allowing for very short calculation time (lower than real-time). Theoretical results were then compared with experimental data measured on a test bench for model validation. The good agreement observed in steady operating conditions was pointed out in . In the present paper the validation is extended to transient operating conditions. Simulation results are compared with experimental data from on-road tests, highlighting the capabilities of the model to describe engine transient behaviour under the combined effects of VGT and EGR.
- Paolo Fiorani - Department of Industrial Engineering (IED) - University of Parma - Italy
- Agostino Gambarotta - Department of Industrial Engineering (IED) - University of Parma - Italy
- Marco Tonetti - FIAT Powertrain Technologies - R&T - Orbassano - Italy
- Enrico Lanfranco - FIAT Powertrain Technologies - R&T - Orbassano - Italy
CitationFiorani, P., Gambarotta, A., Tonetti, M., and Lanfranco, E., "A Real-Time Model for the Simulation of Transient Behaviour of Automotive Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3007, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3007.
- Guzzella L. Onder C.H. “Introduction to Modeling and Control of Internal Combustion Engine Systems” Springer-Verlag 3-540-22274-X 2004
- Dobner D.J. “ A Mathematical Model for Development of Dynamic Engine Control ” SAE paper no. 800054 1980
- Cook J.A. Powell B.K. “ Modeling of an Internal Combustion Engine for Control Analysis ” IEEE Control Systems Magazine 8 Aug. 1988
- Moskwa J.J. Munns S.A. Rubin Z.J. “ The Development of Vehicular Powertrain System Modeling Methodologies: Philosophy and Implementation ” SAE paper no. 971089 1997
- Stobart R.K. May A. Challen B.J. Morel T. “ Modelling for Diesel Engine Control: the CPower Environment ” SAE paper no. 980794 , SAE Int.Congress and Exposition Detroit 1998
- Guzzella L. Amstutz A. “ Control of Diesel engines ” IEEE Trans.on Control Systems Technology Oct. 1998
- Sun J. Kolmanovsky I. Cook J.A. Buckland J.H. “ Modeling and Control of Automotive Powertrain Systems: a Tutorial ” American Control Conference Portland June 2005
- Isermann R. Sinsel S. Schaffnit J. “ Modeling and Real-Time Simulation of Diesel Engines for Control Design ” SAE paper no. 980796 , SAE Int.Congress and Exposition Detroit 1998
- Woermann R.J. Theuerkauf H.J. Heinrich A. “ A Real-Time Model of a Common Rail Diesel Engine ” SAE paper no. 1999-01-0862 , Electronic Engine Controls 1999, SAE publ.no.SP-1419
- Eriksson L. Nielsen L. Brugård J. Bergström J. Pettersson F. Andersson P. “ Modelling of a Turbocharged SI Engine ” Annual Reviews in Control Elsevier 2002
- Gambarotta A. “ A control-oriented library for the simulation of automotive Diesel engines ” 3 rd International Conference on Control and Diagnostics in Automotive Applications, paper 01A3039 Sestri Levante July 2001
- Canova M. Gambarotta A. “ Automotive engine modelling for real time control using an object-oriented simulation library ” 4 th International Conference on Control and Diagnostics in Automotive Applications, paper 03A2035 Sestri Levante June 2003
- Anguita D. Casoli P. Canova M. Gambarotta A. Rivieccio F. “ A learning-machine based method for the simulation of combustion process in automotive I.C.Engines ” Spring Conference of the I.C.Engines Division of the ASME, paper no.ICES2003-682 Salzburg May 2003
- Canova M. Fiorani P. Gambarotta A. Tonetti M. “ A real-time model of a small turbocharged Multijet Diesel engine: application and validation ” 7 th SAE-NA Int.Conf.on Engines for Automobiles, SAE paper n.2005-24-65 Capri (NA) Sept. 05
- Winterbone D.E. Pearson R.J. “ Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds ” SAE publications 1999
- Chevalier A. Muller M. Hendricks E. “ On the validity of Mean Value Engine Models during transient operation ” SAE paper no. 2000-01-1261 , SAE 2000 World Congress Detroit 2000
- Weeks R.W. Moskwa J.J. “ Automotive Engine Modeling for Real-Time Control Using MATLAB/SIMULINK ” SAE paper no. 950417 , SAE Int.Congress and Exposition Detroit 1995
- Liu H.-Q. Chalhoub N.G. Heinein N. “ Simulation of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine under cold start conditions using Simulink ” ASME Journal for Gas Turbines and Power 123 117 Jan. 2001
- Zhang G.Q. Assanis D.N. “ Manifold Gas Dynamics Modelling and its coupling with single-cylinder Engine Models using Simulink ” ASME Journal for Gas Turbines and Power 125 563 April 2003
- Watson N. Janota M.S. “ Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine ” John Wiley and Sons 1982
- Moraal P. Kolmanovsky I. “ Turbocharger Modelling for automotive control applications ” SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1999
- Kays W.M. London A.L. “ Compact Heat Exchangers ” McGraw-Hill 1984
- Hendricks E. Chevalier A. Jensen M. Sorenson S.C. “ Modelling of the Intake Manifold filling dynamics ” SAE paper no. 960037 1996
- Zheng M. Reader G.T. Hawley J.G. “ Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation - a review on Advanced and Novel Concept ” Energy Conversion and Management Elsevier 2004
- Gambarotta A. Toderi G. Onorati A. Effetti d’onda nei motori a combustione interna ATA Journal 59 36 42 5 6 May June 2006