This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock Resistance in a Small Turbocharged Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: The Sustainable Mobility Challenge at the National Congress of the Italian Thermotechnical Association (ATI)
Spark-ignition engines are characterized by poor levels of thermal efficiency, it is known, especially when running at partial load.
Since part-load operating points are the most commonly used in engine average life, achieving a given torque value with small displacement, high mean effective pressure engines, the so-called “downsizing”, permits, in general, to limit some typical engine losses (for instance: pumping and friction losses), improving the fuel consumption in a wide range of engine operating points.
Small displacement engines, usually, achieve high toque values thanks to supercharging techniques.
In this paper, knock risks for a small displacement turbo-charged spark-ignition engine have been analyzed. A parametric analysis of numerous variable influencing engine performance and knock resistance has been carried out by means of 1-D numerical simulations.
At low engine speed, the influence of inlet valve close angle on engine octane requirement has been assessed for different values of the turbocharging pressure ratio.
Computations have been performed by means of the 1-D AVL Boost code. Initial and boundary conditions have been evaluated by experimental tests.
The model utilized in this study has been validated by comparing the obtained results to the measured data provided by the research center of the engine manufacturer.
CitationFontana, G. and Galloni, E., "Knock Resistance in a Small Turbocharged Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2995, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2995.
- Watson N. Janota M.S. “Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine” John Wiley New York 1982
- Heavenrich R.M. “Light-Duty Automotive Technology and Fuel Economy Trends Through 1999” US EPA Report EPA420-R-99-018
- Leduc P. Dubar B. Ranini A. Monnier G. “Downsizing of Gasoline Engines: an Efficient Way to Reduce CO2 Emissions” Oil and Gas Science and technology - Rev. IFP 58 2003 1 115 127
- Lecointe B. Monnier G. “Downsizing a Gasoline Engine Using Turbocharging with Direct Injection” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-0542
- Stokes J. Lake T.H. Osborne R.J. “A Gasoline Engine Concept for Improved Fuel Economy - The Lean Boost System” SAE Paper no. 2000-01-2902
- Wirth M. Mayerhofer U. Piock W.F. Fraidl G.K. “Turbocharging the DI Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper no. 2000-01-0251
- Lake T. Stokes J. et al. “Turbocharging Concepts for Downsized DI Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper no. 2004-01-0036
- Petitjean D. et al. “Advanced Gasoline Engine Turbocharging Technology for Fuel Economy Improvements” SAE Paper no. 2004-01-0988
- Ramos J.I. “Internal Combustion Engine Modeling” Hemisphere, Publ. Corp. 1989
- Cheng W. K. Diringer J. A. “Numerical Modeling of SI Engine Combustion with a Flame Sheet Model” SAE Paper 910268 1991
- Fontana G. Galloni E. Palmaccio R. “Experimental and numerical analysis of a small VVT-SI engine” SAE Paper no. SAE-NA 2005-24-079
- de Alexandria Cruz P. de Souza Vianna J. N. de Silva Moreira C. “Study of the Turbulence Intensity Variation Within the Combustion Chamber of a SI Engine due to Turbocharging” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-3687
- Navrátil J. Macek J. Polášek M. “Simulation of a small turbocharged gasoline engine in transient operation” SAE Paper no. 2004-01-0995
- Pierik R. J. Burkhard J. F. “Design and Development of a Mechanical Variable Valve Actuation System” SAE Paper no. 2000-01-1221
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Tuccillo R. “The control of a VVA-equipped SI engine operation by means of 1-D simulation and mathematical optimization” SAE Paper no. 2002-01-1107
- Fiorenza R. Pirelli M. Torella E. et al. “VVT + Port Deactivation Application on a Small Displacement SI 4 Cylinder 16V Engine: an Effective Way to Reduce Vehicle Fuel Consumption” SAE paper no. 2003-01-0020
- Pallotti P. Torella E. New J. Criddle M. Brown J. “Application of an Electric Boosting System to a Small, Four Cylinder S.I. Engine” SAE Paper no. 2003-32-0039
- Fontana G. Galloni E. Palmaccio R. Torella E. “Numerical Analysis of a Small Turbo-charged Spark-Ignition Engine” Proceedings of ICES2006: ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2006 Spring Technical Conference May 8-10 2006 Aachen, Germany
- AVL BOOST Handbook April 2004
- Tatschl R. Wieser K. Reitbauer R. “Multidimensional Simulation of Flow Evolution, Mixture Preparation and Combustion in a 4-Valve SI Engine” Third International Symposium on Diagnostic and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines Yokohama 1994
- Tatschi R. Riediger H. “PDF Modeling of Stratified Charge SI Engine Combustion” SAE Paper 981464 1998
- Boudier P. Henriot S. Poinsot T. J. Baritaud T. 1992 24th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 503
- Halstead M.P. Kirsch L.J. Prothero A. Quinn C.P. “A Mathematical Model for Hydrocarbon Autoignition at High Pressures” Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A. 364 515 538 1975
- Ueda T. Okumura T. Sugiura S. Kojima S. “Effects of Squish Area Shape on Knocking in a Four-Valve Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper no. 1999-01-1494 1999