This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization Performance of Multi-Fuel Spark Ignition Engine using a turbocharging system
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The new trends of the automotive market require the development of a new concept of engines using different types of fuel, mainly those resulting from alternative sources of energy. For this purpose those multi-fuel engines must function with higher energy efficiency therefore allowing for lower fuel consumption and a drastic reduction of exhaust emission. The multi-fuel engines available in the market display only one volumetric compression ratio, which leaves ample room for the development of a better level of fuel energy use. To achieve so, such an engine must count on a variable volumetric compression ratio, which, despite being technically possible, is not economically viable for a low cost product. The present project intends to create a system capable of achieving the best performance for all types of fuel through the variation of the boost pressure, viable for a low cost product, without changing its volumetric compression ratio. The gains obtained by this system in comparison with the traditional engine configuration are demonstrated in each stage of the experiment. With the results obtained we intend to create an alternative concept for a multi-fuel engine that allows for its optimization in such a way as to achieve the best possible performance with the use of either gasoline (E25), hydrated ethanol (E94) or vehicular methane gas (GMV).
CitationBaêta, J., Barros, J., Valle, R., and de Paula, E., "Optimization Performance of Multi-Fuel Spark Ignition Engine using a turbocharging system," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2641, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2641.
- BAÊTA, José Guilherme Coelho “A new concept of a flex multi-fuel engine” Society of Automotive Engineering, Inc. 2004
- BAÊTA, José Guilherme Coelho “Mapping procedure applied to general engine management system for spark plug engines” Society of Automotive Engineering, Inc. 2004
- BARROS, J.E. M. UFMG 2003
- GIACOSA D. Ulrico Hoepli Editore, Inc. 2004 15a
- HEYWOOD, J.B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals” MC GRAW HILL 1988 N.Y.
- MoTeC M4 Pro. < http://www.MoTeC.com/products/ecu/m4_tech.htm > Jan 2004
- Jan 2001 Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- Jun 1996 Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- Mar 2004 FIAT AUTO Italy
- PINHEIRO P.C.C. UFMG 1995
- PIGNONE G. A. VERCELLI U. R. Giorgio Nada Editore, Inc. 2002
- PULKRABEK, Willard W. “Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine” 1997 Prentice-Hall, Inc. USA