This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison Plusher and Tractor Propulsion for Micro Air Vehicle Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The propeller-induced flow highly effects to the aerodynamic characteristics of Micro Air Vehicle (MAV) because of large propeller size and low flight speed. The tractor propulsive induced flow may decrease the lift-to-drag ratio up to 50%. This is due to that wing’s local angle of attack is reduced. In the pusher-propulsive configuration, the local angle of attack is not changed but it decreases the propulsive efficiency. This paper objects to demonstrate and compare the aerodynamics advantage and disadvantage of propeller installation, pusher and tractor on a very low aspect ratio MAV. The study was done by an experiment in wind tunnel.
|Technical Paper||A Knowledge-Based Design Framework for Aircraft Conceptual and Preliminary Design|
|Technical Paper||Preliminary Design of a Tandem Seater Light Sport Airplane|
|Technical Paper||Destructive Evaluation of Aging General Aviation Airplanes|
CitationThipyopas, C. and Moschetta, J., "Comparison Plusher and Tractor Propulsion for Micro Air Vehicle Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2397, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2397.
- Moschetta J. M. Thipyopas Ch. “Aerodynamic of Biplane Micro Air Vehicle” EMAV 2004 Braunschweig, Germany
- Thomas J. Mueller “Aerodynamic Measurements at Low Reynolds Numbers for Fixed Wing Micro-Air Vehicles” presented at RTO AVT/VKI Special Course on Development and Operation of UAVs for Military and Civil Applications, VKI Belgium Sep 1999
- Moschetta, J. M. Thipyopas, Ch. “Optimization of a Biplane Micro Air Vehicle” 23rd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, AIAA Paper Number 2005–4613
- Null, W. Noseck, A. Shkarayev, S. ‘Effects of Propulsive-Induced Flow on the Aerodynamics of Micro Air Vehicles’ 23rd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, AIAA Paper Number 2005–4616
- Loxton, Ben Watkins, Simon ‘An Investigation of the Flow Quality through the Propeller of Pusher Configuration UAV’ 11th Australian International Aerospace Congress 13–17 March 2005
- Hoerner S. F. Borst H. V. ‘Fluid-Dynamic Lift’ Hoerner Fluid Dynamics Brick Town, NJ 1975 chapter 12
- Grasmeyer Joel M. Keennon Matthew T. ‘Development of the Black Widow Micro Air Vehicle’ AIAA-2001-0127
- Thipyopas Ch. Moschetta, J. M. “Drag Reduction of MAV by Biplane Effect” Journee Micro Drone 2004 Toulouse, France
- Moschetta J. M. Thipyopas Ch. “Aerodynamic Performance of Biplane Micro Air Vehicles” Journal of Aircraft 2006
- Zimmerman, C. H. ”Aerodynamic Characteristics of Several Airfoils of Low Aspect Ratio” 1935
- Barlow Jewel B. Rae William H. JR. Pope Alan ‘Low3Speed Wind Tunnel Testing’ third edition John Willey & Sons, Inc
- Torres Gabriel E. Mueller, Thomas J. Low-Aspect-Ratio Wing Aerodynamics at Low Reynolds Numbers’ AIAA Journal 42 No. 5 May 2004 page 865–873