This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
From Motion Capture to Motion Simulation: An In-vehicle Reach Motion Database for Car Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 04, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Realistic simulation of human posture and movement is one of key requirements for digital human models for workplace design. In a recent European research project REAL MAN (IST 2000-29357), we have suggested a data-based motion simulation approach, which includes motion capture, model-based motion reconstruction, motion analysis and data structuration, motion simulation and discomfort estimation. After the REAL MAN project, we have decided to apply this approach and to create a complete in-vehicle reach motion database for car interior design. The objective of this paper is to show our in-vehicle reach motion database.
Two female and four male subjects participated in motion data collection. Each subject carried out 64 reach movements which covered 17 common driver’s control command reaches. Motion data were analyzed in order to identify key kinematic characteristics of each motion and then structured according to subject’s anthropometric information; task and command location. An open architecture has been suggested and implemented allowing the integration of motion data of different tasks in a same data structure. Some examples will be shown to illustrate how this motion database can be used for car interior design.
CitationWang, X., Chevalot, N., Monnier, G., and Trasbot, J., "From Motion Capture to Motion Simulation: An In-vehicle Reach Motion Database for Car Design," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2362, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2362.
SAE 2006 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Electronic and Electrical Systems
Number: V115-7; Published: 2007-03-30
Number: V115-7; Published: 2007-03-30
- Ausejo S. Suescun Á. Celigüeta J. Wang X. 2006 Robust Human Motion Reconstruction in the Presence of Missing Markers and the Absence of Markers for Some Body Segments SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Lyon, France July 4–6
- Chevalot N. Wang X. 2004 Experimental investigation of the discomfort of arm reaching movements in a seated position, SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering June 15–17 SAE paper 2004-01-2141
- Choi, K. J. Ko, K. S. 2000 Online motion retargeting The journal of visualisation and computer animation 11 223 235
- Dufour F. Wang X. 2005 Discomfort assessment of car ingress/egress motions using the concept of neutral movement SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering, Iowa city June 15–17 SAE paper 2005-01-2706
- Monnier G. 2004 Simulation of task orientated complex human motions and prediction of the associated discomfort – application to the ergonomic assessment of automobile seat belt buckling INSA Lyon
- Monnier G. Wang X. Verriest, J.P. Goujon, S. 2003 Simulation of complex and specific task-orientated movements - application to the automotive seat belt reaching SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering, Montreal, 17–19 June, 2003, SAE paper 2003-01-2225
- Park, W. Chaffin, D.B. Martin, B.J. 2004 Toward memory-based human motion simulation: development and validation of a motion modification algorithm IEEE Transaction on System, Man and Cybernetics – Part A: Systems and Humans 34 No. 3 376 386
- Wang, X. 2002 Prediction of lower-limb movements of clutch pedal operation from an existing motion database, VDI-Gesellschaft Fahrzeug- und Verkehrstechnik SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Munich 18–20 June 271 283 VDI-BERICHTE
- Wang X. Chevalot N. Monnier G. Ausejo S. Suescun Á. Celigüeta J. 2005 Validation of a model-based motion reconstruction method developed in the Realman project SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering, June 14–16, 2005. SAE paper 2005-01-2743
- Monnier G. Renard F. Chameroy A. Wang X. Trasbot J. 2006 Motion simulation approach integrated into a design engineering process SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Lyon, France July 4–6